Russian Made Indian Aircraft Carrier Sets Out On Trial Voyage

Started by jimmy olsen, June 09, 2012, 07:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on June 09, 2012, 01:48:04 PM
I think you're overstating your case.  Furious was able to effectively launch aircraft, and there wasn't a Aviation Boatswain's Mate anywhere in the world at that time.

Furious had no more than seven planes in the air at any one time until the late 20s, and never was very effective.  She was mostly used as an aircraft transport.  She's a poor example to use for effective flight operations: in the Norwegian campaign, she lost 2/3 of her air wing and in return managed to destroy 2 Ju-52s on the ground.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2012, 04:29:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 09, 2012, 01:48:04 PM
I think you're overstating your case.  Furious was able to effectively launch aircraft, and there wasn't a Aviation Boatswain's Mate anywhere in the world at that time.
Furious had no more than seven planes in the air at any one time until the late 20s, and never was very effective.  She was mostly used as an aircraft transport.  She's a poor example to use for effective flight operations: in the Norwegian campaign, she lost 2/3 of her air wing and in return managed to destroy 2 Ju-52s on the ground.
Well, if we want to range into WWII, Ark Royal was pretty effective.  I just chose Furious because it was capable of launching aircraft effectively (although it wasn't really all that effective at landing them until after they rebuilt it).  It was the aircraft themselves that were ineffective, for a variety of reasons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

The carrier India has had since the 80's is presumably able to effectively launch aircraft without USN AB's as well.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 09, 2012, 08:05:20 PM
The carrier India has had since the 80's is presumably able to effectively launch aircraft without USN AB's as well.
grumbles is talkin about effective flight operations during combat. Remember for him that means managing to reload the onager before Persians ram you.
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on June 09, 2012, 11:00:31 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2012, 10:22:22 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 09, 2012, 10:17:02 AM
They just need it for the prestige.  It's not like it's expected to actually do anything.  India's strategic concerns are a little closer to home.

A Dreadnought could serve the same purpose, and the Russians might just know something about operating a dreadnought.

Effective flight deck operations require Master Chief Aviation Bosun's Mates, and those take a couple of decades to create.

And how many decades would it take if they had dreadnoughts instead of a carrier?
It wouldn't take long at all.  After the first attempt to land the plane on the dreadnought, the problem solves itself.