Was your father's respect important to you growing up?

Started by Lettow77, June 16, 2012, 12:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Were any of you from single parent households?

I guess a father shows a good amount of respect if they did not abandon or abuse you.

Caliga

No, the respect of either of my parents wasn't at all important to me then and isn't now.  I have an increasing amount of respect for them for all they've done for me, but never cared if they respected me to any degree.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

I've never thought about it this way.  Looking back, I don't think I deserved any respect or praise and not surprisingly I didn't get any.  Which is fine by me, as I did not care.  My teenage years was a single-minded pursuit of university graduation and an office job.  Before I got it I wouldn't respect myself either. 

Phillip V

Quote from: Monoriu on June 16, 2012, 12:12:31 PM
I've never thought about it this way.  Looking back, I don't think I deserved any respect or praise and not surprisingly I didn't get any.  Which is fine by me, as I did not care.  My teenage years was a single-minded pursuit of university graduation and an office job.  Before I got it I wouldn't respect myself either. 
What is your current office job?

Maximus

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2012, 08:36:11 AM
No, the respect of either of my parents wasn't at all important to me then and isn't now.  I have an increasing amount of respect for them for all they've done for me, but never cared if they respected me to any degree.
I think this is true for me with my Dad. My Mom, however, always showed respect for my achievements, even now when my achievements run counter to her professed religious beliefs. And I've always valued that.

MadImmortalMan

It might have been, but my dad lived 2300 miles away when I was a kid. So no.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Dad gave me the leverage and support to succeed or fail as I saw fit.

Monoriu

Quote from: Phillip V on June 16, 2012, 12:24:08 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 16, 2012, 12:12:31 PM
What is your current office job?

Office assistant, HK government.