Classic X-COM: UFO Defense AAR - "Languish Force"

Started by Tonitrus, June 06, 2012, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Not going to start this until tomorrow, but for now I've been playing a Languish-themed game of Organ Trail... (consider it like the cartoon before the feature)

http://hatsproductions.com/organtrail.html

So far, while fending off zombie hordes...CdM has been in perfect health, Ed Anger has broken his leg twice, Berkut keeps getting bitten by zombies, MiM wandered off and presumably died, and Monoriu has dysentry.

Razgovory

Berkut shouldn't have tried to put the zombies on ignore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

And so it begins...

The main base is built...in Ohio(approximately), The Heart of it All.

Using my basic(and expensive) starting base strategy...replace the hanger setup to maximize base defense.

The starting rookie team...

...my initial idea was to have the teams be region specific, but I decided to make Mono an honorary "North American" this time, since that guys' bravery was "10" (normally I'd trash those soldiers, or use them as "scouts").  But lets see if he survives without killing off his teammates.  :P

Let the bug hunt begin...

Ed Anger

Tonitrus

SitRep - 7 JAN 1999

Intel reports showed alien activity in North Africa, interceptor sent to investigate.

Our first catch(?) of the day...

A light scout craft, that managed to elude our interceptors over North American, and after leading them on a chase as far as the Andes, escaped by breaking out into orbit.

Meanwhile, new recruits for the ground teams came in...

Notes: Names for female soldiers might soon become a problem.  Also, if the death toll gets heavy, I am reserving the right to bring back people from the dead (i.e. "Ed Anger mk.2)

Tonitrus

Pretty quick, another alien aircraft is picked up on radar, screaming over the Canadian north headed for Alaska...

An interceptor is launched, and the UFO is quickly taken down in the vicinity of Yellowknife.  The Skyranger is launched, and the Languish Force rookies prepare to get their first taste of action!

Immediately upon hitting the dirt, a hostile is sited...LZ is hot!

The HWP/Rocket platform inches up and opens fire, but as usual, the HWP fails...two missile strikes missing by a mile.

Monoriu heads to the end of the gangplank and opens fire, but after grazing the enemy, is killed by it's return fire...

Ed Anger then bravely moves forward under the hail of fire...which kills the soldier behind him(later found to be Siege).  Ed is able to get a couple shots off, but is himself quickly killed.  Finally, CdM moves up and gives the evil sectoid the coup-de-grace.

The HWP deploys fully outside of the Skyranger, taking fire from multiple directions.  Spotting one of the enemy, it fires, finally scoring a hit.

CdM rolls left out of the Skyranger after it, opening fire on a flanking sectoid before being forced to take cover.

Merithyn then follows him up, firing on full auto to bring it down.

Then katmai deploys right, spotting an hostile on the far side of the downed craft, taking it down with a very well placed shot.

Being that the alien craft is so close to the LZ, the team moves into position...

Brazen, backed up by CdM, move to the far side of the craft, Valmy, Neil and MiM prepare to breach the alien craft while katmai covers their flank.

MiM takes the point on the breach, a grazing shot of plasma from the lone sectoid inside has no effect, and he quickly puts it down.

After clearing the craft, they almost thought this mission was over, but the first sectoid brought down by CdM seemed to have survived.  CdM himself promptly dispatched the unarmed hostile.

After the mission, a few are recognized for promotion...

...and the fallen are mourned.

KIA:
Ed Anger
Monoriu
Siege

Notes: I think I jinxed Ed with that "mk.2" example earlier.  :P

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 06, 2012, 06:29:07 PM

Notes: Names for female soldiers might soon become a problem.  Also, if the death toll gets heavy, I am reserving the right to bring back people from the dead (i.e. "Ed Anger mk.2)

WTF, I never get on these lists.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

Quote from: Viking on June 06, 2012, 07:27:28 PM

Me neither.  C'est la guerre.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

Quote from: Scipio on June 06, 2012, 07:40:32 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 06, 2012, 07:27:28 PM

Me neither.  C'est la guerre.

I don't insist that I have a right to be picked before Ed Anger (mk.1), but duude, It insults my languish bona fides if I don't rate above Ed Anger mk.2
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

QuoteNotes: I think I jinxed Ed with that "mk.2" example earlier.

His mentor Monc E. butt is always available, along with his evil twin Biff.

Tonitrus

Whiners.  :rolleyes:

If I can scrounge up original names, I'd use them before a "mk.2"...but a man has gotta be prepared.

Ed Anger

I am thoroughly amused.  :)

My dude was walking around on the beach holding his severed arm.  :lol:

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tonitrus

Intel gets reports of more activity in North Africa, so an Interceptor is deployed to patrol while the Skyranger heads to the area to stand on-station.

Soon, a hostile craft is located on the ground in vicinity of Tripoli...we always knew Ghadafi was not of this world...

The HWP is deployed to scout around the LZ...

A floater is sighted not far from the LZ, and CdM rolls out and shoots it down.  But...another floater emerges from a nearby barn, gunning down Neil...

CdM and katmai return fire, wounding the floater, but a well placed sniper-shot from Merithyn takes it down.

The HWP scouts around the far side of the alien craft...finding one floater and planting a missile down its throat at point-blank range...meanwhile, the squad divides into two fire teams...

Team 1: Sgt CdM, Garbon, Meri, and Jaron to sweep and clear the buildings.
Team 2: Sgt katmai leading Brazen, Caliga, Valmy and Raz will breach and storm the alien craft.

Team 2 gets ready to breach....

katmai sends Caliga in on point....

....uh oh....