News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

National day of Sweden!

Started by The Brain, June 06, 2012, 12:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Today June 6 is the national day of Sweden. Sweden is widely considered the acne of civilization. :cheers:

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Acne?  As in red, blotchy and annoying?

Solmyr

AKA "Swedes rebel against their rightful king" day. :P

Tonitrus

Why is it always "rebel against their rightful king", and never "seizes freedom from the hardworking peasantry"?  :mad:

Drakken

Quote from: Solmyr on June 06, 2012, 12:36:45 AM
AKA "Swedes rebel against their rightful king" day. :P

One in a big long Swedish tradition to getting rid of reigning monarchs when they starting behaving like douches.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

Today is lagom, like every other day in Sweden.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

BTW am presently rocking "The Final Countdown" in your honor. We love our Swedes. They are funny scandinavians with funny accents and imperial ambitions.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 06, 2012, 01:32:02 AM
Why is it always "rebel against their rightful king", and never "seizes freedom from the hardworking peasantry"?  :mad:

Because everyone was doing that.

derspiess

I think we in the US should also have a National Day of Sweden, where we all celebrate by acting out some Swede stereotype.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2012, 09:21:50 AM
I think we in the US should also have a National Day of Sweden, where we all celebrate by acting out some Swede stereotype.

July 23 is St Birgittas Day - the swedish verision of St. Patricks Day. Eat Surströmming and IKEA Meatballs while listening to ABBA songs. Not as much fun as getting plastered on Guinness; lagom at least though.

Valmy

We all act like tall blonde air heads and speak with Minnesota accents?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

Like the proverbial "dumb Swede" archetype?

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on June 06, 2012, 09:53:26 AM
Like the proverbial "dumb Swede" archetype?

Myyyyyyy name is Yon Yonson
I come from Wisconsin
I works in da lumber yard der
Every girl dat I meet
When I walk downs de street
Says "What's your name?"
And I tells 'er: Myyyyyy name is Yon Yonson...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on June 06, 2012, 09:27:51 AM
July 23 is St Birgittas Day - the swedish verision of St. Patricks Day.

Cool.  I would not mind replacing St. Patty's Day with that.  Should take the Irish down a notch or two  <_<

QuoteEat Surströmming

Had to look that up.  Ehh, no.

Quoteand IKEA Meatballs

Can do  :)

Quotewhile listening to ABBA songs. Not as much fun as getting plastered on Guinness; lagom at least though.

I'll need to find a Swedish beer I like.  Come to think of it, I dunno if I've ever had a Swedish beer :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall