News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawtalkers and TV fans, check this out

Started by CountDeMoney, June 04, 2012, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HVC on June 05, 2012, 12:47:13 AM
Meant mail fliers. They're analogues because both types of ads subsidize a service we enjoy (namely crappy tv shows and mail). You can't chide someone for ignoring one while you ignore the other. Well you can, but it's dirty pool :D

Not really. The ads I get in the mail never change. It's BofA, Chase, American Express and Discover all the time. Rinse and repeat. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Good point. When I was living at home I'd never get mail, so I don't have the habit of checking for it. I sometimes find my mail box jammed. Mail guy must not like me much
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2012, 12:54:26 AM
Meant mail fliers. They're analogues because both types of ads subsidize a service we enjoy (namely crappy tv shows and mail). You can't chide someone for ignoring one while you ignore the other. Well you can, but it's dirty pool :D

Not really. The ads I get in the mail never change. It's BofA, Chase, American Express and Discover all the time. Rinse and repeat. <_<
i get a lot of grocery fliers. And stuff from the course I'm taking. I give them my money, why can't they just leave me alone?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

I thought stamps paid for the mail.  :huh: Unless you're making a claim based on economy of scale.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Personally I'd rather pay money then watch ads, which is why I have Tivo and Netflix.  Ads waste my time and distract from what I'm watching, two things that I'm happy to avoid.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on June 05, 2012, 06:45:08 AM
Personally I'd rather pay money then watch ads, which is why I have Tivo and Netflix.  Ads waste my time and distract from what I'm watching, two things that I'm happy to avoid.

Great, so the already-overpriced cable consortiuums can charge us even more?

And, live television such as sports events requires ads: not merely from a game/directorial/production angle, but also for us to go to the bathroom, hit the fridge, order the pizza, tell the little shits to go to bed.

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2012, 06:49:41 AM
Great, so the already-overpriced cable consortiuums can charge us even more?

And, live television such as sports events requires ads: not merely from a game/directorial/production angle, but also for us to go to the bathroom, hit the fridge, order the pizza, tell the little shits to go to bed.

I've dropped cable, so I don't care about that.  If there's a show on cable I like I'll either get it on netflix or buy the dvds.  Considering the minimum package for cable was $50 more per month than just internet that nets out to ~ two season dvds of a show per month.  Even then that wouldn't include the sexier cable channels.  Including those is another season dvd a month.  There aren't 24-36 cable shows that I watch.  It just didn't make sense.

As for sports, I never start watching them live.  Buffer on the Tivo, pause if I need a break or I get too close to realtime.

garbon

I don't have cable though I do use Hulu with its requisite ads.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2012, 08:47:50 AM

Yeah, but they're not so bad.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2012, 09:08:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2012, 08:47:50 AM

Yeah, but they're not so bad.

Yes...though they can be when they get stuck on a loop of showing the exact same ad at every commercial break.

The Brain

I don't give a shit about their precious income from commercials. I could watch pay channels only and be perfectly happy with my TV experience.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2012, 11:52:07 PM
Christ, people are fucking entitled.  Watch the commercials.  Sometimes they promote valuable products.  Sometimes they are amusing.  In any event, they pay for your shit, so keep your part of the deal.

That said, I don't even have a TV up here.  But the principle applies to blip videos and such, and I happily watch the dumb ads, because I know the revenue pays for the show I watch for free.

Goddamned tragedy of the commons.

I pay around $100/mo for cable. That entitles me to skip the fucking commericals. Also, commercials would be wasted on me, since I don't buy shit.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on June 05, 2012, 12:39:01 PM
I don't give a shit about their precious income from commercials. I could watch pay channels only and be perfectly happy with my TV experience.

And then there is the licence fee...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on June 05, 2012, 04:07:20 PM
I pay around $100/mo for cable.

Damn.  Do you get all the whackoff channels for that price?

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2012, 04:42:04 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 05, 2012, 04:07:20 PM
I pay around $100/mo for cable.

Damn.  Do you get all the whackoff channels for that price?

No. just a lot of premium soccer and movies channels.

The movie channel, The Movie Network, does carry pron after midnight; it's a hybrid of hard core and soft core stuff.

Years ago I did subscribe to the Playboy channel which was kinda cool, very whackoff worthy, but they kept raising the price every year so I ditched it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011