And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '12-13

Started by grumbler, June 02, 2012, 03:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2013, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 06, 2013, 01:59:29 PM
The Browns have now ruled him out and now it is apparently down to the Eagles or back to the Ducks.  The feeling on Twitter is that there is a pretty good chance he ends up staying in Oregon which would likely end any NFL interest in the future.  I hope that happens, but it would still surprise me.

I'll never understand why somebody who develops a successful program would give up the easy life of coaching on the collegiate level and go to that pressure cooker insanity of the NFL.
You're a god on earth on campus, the kids still listen to you as a coach, and you can go golfing after practice.  In the NFL, you sleep in your office, just to be fired three seasons later.

I can see 3 reasons why you might:

1)  $$$$$  Cynics might see this as the most important, but I have some doubts.  Even with the huge contracts some college coaches have, if it comes to  straight-up bidding war, the pros can pay more.

2)  The desire to prove yourself at the highest level of competition, even if the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself.

3)  While the pressure of coaching in the NFL is greater than at even the most high-profile college program, the are some things that college coaches have to worry about that you don't in the pros--recruiting, boosters, etc.  If you get fed up enough with any of those, I can see deciding to give the NFL a go.

sbr

I don't buy the money aspect for the most part.  ANy NCAA coach that has NFL potential is making pretty good money and usually making it in a small college town.  How many big-time college programs are in big cities?

$2.5 million in Eugene, or $3.4 in Fayetteville Arkansas is worth a whole hell of a lot more than it would be in Philly, New York or even Cleveland.

CountDeMoney

I'd say the pressure to perform in some high profile programs are as high, if not higher, than some pro teams, but the pressure compression ratio across the year probably isn't as bad.

And I'd argue that some college programs the pressure to succeed is greater than at some NFL teams, particularly when it comes to regions that don't have a traditional NFL fan base.

I mean, who do you think has more pressure on him as a head coach from all aspects, from the media to the general population: the Tennessee Titans, or the University of Tennessee?  Who's got more public pressure on his ass from the fan base, Mack Brown or Gary Kubiak?   Gene Stallings wins a national championship, yet couldn't get past Florida.  Boosters are a bitch.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2013, 11:58:21 PM
It's a sweet gig;  I certainly wouldn't want to trade it in for the Browns or the Bills, or any other NFL soul-crushing woodchipper of a job. 
He could probably be there as long as he wants, as long as he continues to get the kids he's getting in recruiting.
The Eagles are a major job though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2013, 12:50:14 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2013, 11:58:21 PM
It's a sweet gig;  I certainly wouldn't want to trade it in for the Browns or the Bills, or any other NFL soul-crushing woodchipper of a job. 
He could probably be there as long as he wants, as long as he continues to get the kids he's getting in recruiting.
The Eagles are a major job though.

In what respect?

jimmy olsen

Major market, an organization with a consistent history of making the playoffs in the last two decades.

Bills and Browns don't compare.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2013, 12:52:28 AM
Major market, an organization with a consistent history of making the playoffs in the last two decades.

Bills and Browns don't compare.

One over-paid over-rated injury-prone QB, one underwheming unproven rookie QB, an atrocious OL, no pass rush, poor linebackers and a horrible fan base with completely unrealistic expectations.

There is a chance that Cleveland could be decent if their new owner learned anything in the time he was a minority owner in the Steelers.  I don't care how much the Ravens crew here bashes them the Steelers have proven that they know how to run an NFL franchise and if Cleveland can take anything from that and get some good front office talent they could become pretty good eventually.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on January 07, 2013, 01:13:21 AM
I don't care how much the Ravens crew here bashes them the Steelers have proven that they know how to run an NFL franchise

Pretty sure nobody around here's bashed them on those grounds.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 07, 2013, 04:00:40 AM
Quote from: sbr on January 07, 2013, 01:13:21 AM
I don't care how much the Ravens crew here bashes them the Steelers have proven that they know how to run an NFL franchise

Pretty sure nobody around here's bashed them on those grounds.

You have to be careful paying any compliments to the steelers around here.

Admiral Yi

I would think one of the major advantages of the pros is you don't have to schlep around the country recruiting.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 07, 2013, 12:28:59 AM
I'd say the pressure to perform in some high profile programs are as high, if not higher, than some pro teams, but the pressure compression ratio across the year probably isn't as bad.

And in the NFL every game is a tough matchup.  It is like Oregon vs. USC every week.  In College, at least at a program like Oregon, you are going to be playing a much less talented team without much of a chance for about half your schedule.

If you can manage the BS of college, the NCAA rules and recruiting and moronic boosters all that garbage, then I think it is a far better job.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2013, 09:36:10 AM
I would think one of the major advantages of the pros is you don't have to schlep around the country recruiting.
Yep.  The NFL has more intense pressures, but for only part of the year.  College coaches don't really have an "off season."  Plus, its gotta be hard on the ego to kiss the ass of so many teenagers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Somehow, I don't see Steve Spurrier kissing a kid's ass.  With his personality, I simply don't see how he succeeds. :lol:

With some of the head coaching legends, I bet hitting the parents was probably as big if not bigger than convincing the kid.   Hell, if the old man worshipped Paterno growing up, I bet half the recruiting job was done by Dad the moment after Joe left.

I always read that Bobby Bowden was such a charmer with the parents, if he rolled up in your living room and set a spell with your Momma, you were going to FSU, by golly. 

CountDeMoney

Great, the National Anthem is being sung by the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.  GITTERDUN