News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '12-13

Started by grumbler, June 02, 2012, 03:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2012, 01:30:48 PM
No dude, they signed a grant of rights with the TV deal.  I don't know how many times people have to tell you this until you get it. 

Well, dude, this is just a contract.  I don't know how many times people have to tell you this until you get it.  A team that wishes to leave will violate the contract, and the subsequent lawsuit will decide what damages the conference will get.  It's a more solid deal, in theory, than the earlier TV deal, but only in theory.

I'm not "butthurt," you're just being a fucking asshole about it for no reason while also apparently not having a single clue what you're talking about.

Someone reduced to calling another "a fucking asshole" out of the blue is butthurt.  The question isn't "are you butthurt," but "why are you butthurt."  What about the Big 12 compels you to burst into tears over a simple intellectual argument and start calling people names?  Why is anyone who notes the instability of the Big 12 a "fucking asshole?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2012, 02:06:53 PM
Well, dude, this is just a contract.  I don't know how many times people have to tell you this until you get it.  A team that wishes to leave will violate the contract, and the subsequent lawsuit will decide what damages the conference will get.  It's a more solid deal, in theory, than the earlier TV deal, but only in theory.

More solid "in theory"?  It's more solid period.  It's a contract that gives their media rights and revenue to the Big 12 until 2025 if they leave.  If the conference is still "shaky" to you after signing that, then no conferences are stable.  Alternate option:  Everyone who has said the GOR makes the conference stable, and it's a lot of people that don't just post on Languish for grins, for at least the next 13 years is right, and grumbler is wrong all by himself.  Gee.  I wonder which one it is.

Someone reduced to calling another "a fucking asshole" out of the blue is butthurt.  The question isn't "are you butthurt," but "why are you butthurt."  What about the Big 12 compels you to burst into tears over a simple intellectual argument and start calling people names?  Why is anyone who notes the instability of the Big 12 a "fucking asshole?"

Fuck you, jerkoff.  You get called an asshole and a douche and a jerkoff because you're being an asshole and a douche and a jerkoff.  It would be pretty easy to understand if you weren't an apparent social retard.  You were wrong about something and it got you all mad, so you went into punk mode after the mistake is simply pointed out.  Again:  Fuck you, jerkoff.  If you wanted to talk about the possibility of teams somehow getting out of the GOR, that would be fine, and I'm down for that.  Except you didn't do that.   You didn't even mention the GOR because you didn't initially know about it and then figured it was just something that was always in their TV deals, or at least the one that was in effect two years ago.  That's why you brought up the four teams leaving like it was still the same situation for everyone else who remained or came in as new members.  It isn't.  Shut up.

ANYWAY:  USC dropped to 13th in the AP after the loss:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/ap

JUST FOR KAT

katmai

FFS MBM enough with the modifications.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: katmai on September 16, 2012, 02:39:28 PM

Fuck him.  I'm tired of his shit. 

sbr

MadBurgerMaker

Fine, next time I'll tell grumbler to go fuck himself over like ten different posts.   :)

sbr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2012, 02:49:09 PM
Fine, next time I'll tell grumbler to go fuck himself over like ten different posts.   :)

That would be better, I couldn't tell what you were changing each time.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on September 16, 2012, 02:51:30 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2012, 02:49:09 PM

That would be better, I couldn't tell what you were changing each time.

Not much, just fixing typos and shit after it was in there (because that dude will jump all over the smallest thing), plus decided to work in "social retard" at the same time I added the AP poll at the bottom.  Never called anyone that before.  It felt like the time.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2012, 02:40:15 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 16, 2012, 02:39:28 PM

Fuck him.  I'm tired of his shit.

I've not taken grumbler seriously since 2007, his biggest problem is he simply cannot accept that he's ever been wrong. In the world of normal human beings (which excludes grumbler) the fact is it's very easy to not know every single thing in the world. The only reason I know anything about the Big XII grant of rights is I was following Big XII realignment very seriously, and there were many articles at the time that described the grant of rights as a sort of legal iron curtain type deal that was going to make this most recent round of conference realignments a lot more permanent and solid than was the norm prior to this.

From a legal perspective it must be noted that signing away the grant of rights basically makes your broadcast rights the property of the Big XII. It's one thing to breach a contract to leave a conference, the only way to physically stop that would be to get a court to issue a specific performance order mandating you stay in the conference. Specific performance is rarely if ever mandated when monetary damages are considered a reasonable alternative, and it's easy to express in monetary terms how much a conference is hurt by losing a member and much easier to just tell the breaching team to pay up. But with a grant of rights it's a whole different ball game, you could break out of the Big XII and be playing in another conference the very next year--and all a court would ever force that school to do is pay damages. But to get your grant of rights back the school leaving has to sue the Big XII to legally take back rights to their broadcasts, and that's a far different legal arrangement as you're basically asking a court to take something that belongs to party A and force party A to sell it back to party B.

Even if they agreed to such a thing, the value of those grant of rights is essentially however much money the school would make off those rights over the contract period, so the damages would be massive and would (even if a court agreed to force the transfer back to the school) basically mean that school functionally would lose some decade or so of broadcast money in legal damages. If someone doesn't think that makes a conference far less shaky they are stupid. Grumbler is a douche and an asshole but he isn't actually retarded, if he actually knew what the GOR was he'd never have made that comment. That's why it's obvious until we called him out on it he had no idea what the GOR was (I'm sure he's unleashed some google-fu on it since then.)

Now, the way to handle grumbler isn't to lash out at him in a long angry post like you did. Just poke fun at him and his foolish, imbecilic ways periodically and make it clear you take him about as seriously as you do Raz when he's off his meds.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2012, 02:16:30 PM
More solid "in theory"?  It's more solid period.  It's a contract that gives their media rights and revenue to the Big 12 until 2025 if they leave.  If the conference is still "shaky" to you after signing that, then no conferences are stable.  Alternate option:  Everyone who has said the GOR makes the conference stable, and it's a lot of people that don't just post on Languish for grins, for at least the next 13 years is right, and grumbler is wrong all by himself.  Gee.  I wonder which one it is.
Again, this is a contract.  Contracts get broken all the time.  The result of the broken contract is that the party which breaks the contract pays for the damages that the other contractors suffer.  That's settled under law.  The comments I have read about the assignment of rights is that it should keep the conference together for the life of the contract.  That sounds about right.  That doesn't have anythig to do with my point though, which is that the ACC was the better choice for ND because it is more stable than the other option, the Big 12.  Plus, the assignment of rights that you are getting your panties in a wad over didn't even exist when ND was making their decision.

QuoteFuck you, jerkoff.  You get called an asshole and a douche and a jerkoff because you're being an asshole and a douche and a jerkoff.  It would be pretty easy to understand if you weren't an apparent social retard.  You were wrong about something and it got you all mad, so you went into punk mode after the mistake is simply pointed out.  Again:  Fuck you, jerkoff.  If you wanted to talk about the possibility of teams somehow getting out of the GOR, that would be fine, and I'm down for that.  Except you didn't do that.   You didn't even mention the GOR because you didn't initially know about it and then figured it was just something that was always in their TV deals, or at least the one that was in effect two years ago.  That's why you brought up the four teams leaving like it was still the same situation for everyone else who remained or came in as new members.  It isn't.  Shut up.
:cool:   You are so cute when you get your panties all twisted up like that. 

And, please, tell me more about what I know and why I post what I post.  I love that stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2012, 02:54:28 PM
Not much, just fixing typos and shit after it was in there (because that dude will jump all over the smallest thing)...

Can you provide an example of me jumping on someone because of a typo?  Or did you just make that up?

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 16, 2012, 04:46:40 PM
From a legal perspective it must be noted that signing away the grant of rights basically makes your broadcast rights the property of the Big XII. It's one thing to breach a contract to leave a conference, the only way to physically stop that would be to get a court to issue a specific performance order mandating you stay in the conference. Specific performance is rarely if ever mandated when monetary damages are considered a reasonable alternative, and it's easy to express in monetary terms how much a conference is hurt by losing a member and much easier to just tell the breaching team to pay up. But with a grant of rights it's a whole different ball game, you could break out of the Big XII and be playing in another conference the very next year--and all a court would ever force that school to do is pay damages. But to get your grant of rights back the school leaving has to sue the Big XII to legally take back rights to their broadcasts, and that's a far different legal arrangement as you're basically asking a court to take something that belongs to party A and force party A to sell it back to party B.

The grant of rights/assignment of rights that the Big 12 schools have signed is the same as the Big Ten and Pac Ten/Twelve have used for years.  What it means is that the school that leaves doesn't take its TV money with it.  Clearly, it gives the conference a lot more leverage to make a departure expensive if it wants, which is why conferences want them.  It doesn't make departure impossible, though.

Bayraktar!