New York mayor seeks ban on sale of big sugary drinks

Started by garbon, May 31, 2012, 09:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2012, 09:32:05 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on June 01, 2012, 09:08:33 AM
Where will the nanny state stop? It should be the individual's choice to eat and drink whatever they want as long as it does not hurt others. Just like seatbelt laws, let the stupid kill themselves off for the good of the gene pool. Doesn't NYC have bigger problems to deal with?

Seatbelt laws are a pretty good example for the nanny state though.

There's literally no reason not to where a seatbelt.  It takes mere seconds to put on and off.  People didn't like to wear them though because they weren't in the habit of wearing them.  So government makes wearing a seatbelt a requirement.  People grumbled and complained, but now most people do wear their seatbelts.

Now is this law a good idea?  Well on the one hand there is, like seatbelts, literally no healthy reason for someone to be drinking a 64 ounce sugary soda.  But there's also no reason to be drinking a 64 ounce diet soda either.  It seems like this law would hard to enforce, with too many exceptions to make it worthwhile.

But by all means - lets experiment.  See what happens in NYC, and if it doesn't work, repeal it.

The problem is, what constitutes not working? You can argue seatbelt laws are working: more people buckle up, there is no reason not to be doing so, etc. But then western governments are threatening the world economy by going broke, teachers are being laid off, and policing of serious crimes is underfunded.

I certainly wouldn't argue that seatbelt law enforcement is breaking the bank, but the do gooder laws add up. They also create a legal mindfield for small businesspeople. Below is a possibly exagerrated account of a guy who tried to figure out what it takes to open a lemonade stand in NYC (I guess now he soon might have to contend also with size limitations):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/02/24/i_tried_to_open_a_lemonade_stand_113235.html
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2012, 09:19:21 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on June 01, 2012, 09:08:33 AM
Where will the nanny state stop? It should be the individual's choice to eat and drink whatever they want as long as it does not hurt others. Just like seatbelt laws, let the stupid kill themselves off for the good of the gene pool. Doesn't NYC have bigger problems to deal with?

You know what I love?  When I put something heavy in the passenger seat and then my car freaks the fuck out because it thinks somebody didn't buckle up.  I look forward to the day when my car starts narcing on me to the cops for it.

Find your cars maitenance maual online (not the crappy book in your glovebox, the one the dealer/shop use) and most have a way to reprogram it. I turned mine off. :)

On topic, you are all correct, we need more goverment involvement in our lives, what was I thinking?!
I know someday The Thought Police will take me to some good people to re-educate me at the Ministry of Love, and everything will be clear for me then.   :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on June 01, 2012, 10:03:58 AM
Below is a possibly exagerrated account of a guy who tried to figure out what it takes to open a lemonade stand in NYC (I guess now he soon might have to contend also with size limitations):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/02/24/i_tried_to_open_a_lemonade_stand_113235.html

John Stossel rules.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

John Stossel lost his credibility with me when he did a piece on taxation that featured a 10 minute lecture by Art Laffer, with all the usual rigor Laffer Curve economics is known for.  From this point on, I have to assume that anything Stossel reports on is exaggerated, hyperbolic, or selectively chosen.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on June 01, 2012, 10:22:12 AM
John Stossel lost his credibility with me when he did a piece on taxation that featured a 10 minute lecture by Art Laffer, with all the usual rigor Laffer Curve economics is known for.  From this point on, I have to assume that anything Stossel reports on is exaggerated, hyperbolic, or selectively chosen.

As I mentioned in my post he was possibly exagerrating, and I wouldn't take what Stossel writes to the bank, but I think there is some truth hiding in there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

http://gothamist.com/2012/06/02/big_soda_looks_to_battle_bloombergs.php

QuoteBig Soda Looks To Battle Bloomberg's Ban On The Big Gulp

Mayor Michael Bloomberg's vendetta against obesity and oversized soft drinks has ratcheted up this week, with his proposed soda ban—which would prohibit city restaurants, street vendors and movie theaters from serving sodas and other sugared drinks that are over 16 ounces—igniting critics and supporters all over the nation. But Soda's not one to go down without a fight,p articularly in light of recent declines in soft drink sales,and now companies like PepsiCo and Coca Cola are pulling out their big, fizzy guns to bring the ban down.

In response to Bloomberg's proposal this week, lobbyists and researchers for the beverage industry have been looking for ways to combat the mayor's assertion that large sodas contribute to rising obesity. On Friday, groups like the American Beverage Association took out color ads in city newspapers decrying the ban, and companies like Coca Cola and McDonalds attacked Bloomberg's anti-soda initiative on Twitter. And it's not just the Beverage Barons themselves who are out to bring the ban down: today, the Center for Consumer Freedom—which lobbies on the behalf of embattled industries like fast food, meat, alcohol and tobacco—took out a full page ad in the Times featuring Hizzonner dolled up in full Mrs. Doubtfire garb presiding over his "Nanny" state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2012, 09:26:44 PM
Soda is for poor people.  When I want something other than water, it's alcohol all the way baby.  But most of the time, it's just water.

I'm the same.  Water, tea (lettow has ruined that), and alcohol for me.

garbon

Unlike some people, I'm open to all sorts of beverages.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

I'm open to all sorts of stuff, I just don't indulge.

CountDeMoney

I really miss sodas;  I will have one once a month or so.  But it really is so bad for you in large quantities.*

*However, I will defend your right to the death to drink as much of it as you want!*

Tonitrus

I had pretty much given up sodas, even diet, years back.

But lately I have been sometimes indulging in some of the stevia-sweetened sodas found at Whole Foods.

Most of them are crappy imitations, but the root beer and grape that I get actually work pretty well.

mongers

I only drink water, coffee, orange squash, tea (not often) and cider (less often still).

Can't remember the last time I had a soda.   

edit:

I remember, some time last year when I was in London, I needed some caffeine quick so had a bottle of pepsi max.  :Embarrass:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 02, 2012, 12:23:22 PM

But lately I have been sometimes indulging in some of the stevia-sweetened sodas found at Whole Foods.

I've lost a bunch of weight just staying away from them, but between my blood pressure and the meds, I've had to stay away. 
Conversely, because of my meds, I have to worry about dehydration a lot more, so Gatorade has become a regular staple now.  Yay, Fruit Punch.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2012, 12:28:29 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 02, 2012, 12:23:22 PM

I've lost a bunch of weight just staying away from them, but between my blood pressure and the meds, I've had to stay away. 
Conversely, because of my meds, I have to worry about dehydration a lot more, so Gatorade has become a regular staple now.  Yay, Fruit Punch.

:x  Old school Lemon-Lime or Orange all the way.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on June 02, 2012, 12:38:55 PM
:x  Old school Lemon-Lime or Orange all the way.

lol, Lemon-Lime still makes my stomach upset, reminds me of barfing it back up at rugby practice.