News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Merry Miscarriages of Windsor

Started by Queequeg, May 30, 2012, 08:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Just out of curiosity, is there any indication that Henry VIII had some kind of genetic condition?  It would seem that the number of miscarriages resulting from his various marriages would be pretty far outside of the ordinary even during this period.   Seems like more than bad luck.

Reading Wolf Hall. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

PDH

I don't think he had any miscarriages at all.  I believe his wives did.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Some of his wives definitely failed to carry their heads to term.

Jaron

It is now believed Henry was Diabetic, and most Diabetics can't have sex.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on May 30, 2012, 08:50:21 PM

You hear that, Ide?  Take note.

HVC

at what stage does syphilis cause miscarriages? it could be that he was infecting all his wives.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on May 30, 2012, 09:17:00 PM
at what stage does syphilis cause miscarriages? it could be that he was infecting all his wives.

Syphilis?  I know he had gout pretty horribly but syphilis?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on May 30, 2012, 08:50:21 PM

So where did Mary, Elizabeth, and Edward come from?  Or I guess you are referring to his later life impotence.  It could just be old age.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

It's a good book.  I recommend Mantel's 'A Place of Greater Safety' which is a similar style about Desmoulins, Danton and Robespierre :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2012, 05:48:58 AM
It's a good book.  I recommend Mantel's 'A Place of Greater Safety' which is a similar style about Desmoulins, Danton and Robespierre :mmm:

Loved them both. Looking forward to reading the sequel to Wolf Hall.

Valdemar

As I heard it many historians/forensics suggest syphilis or something like it based on sympthoms and the lack of children, male children and the one sick heir.

That would also fit with the increasing signs of mental instability as age set in.

IIRC one of the syphilic sideeffects is a lower probability to beget especially male children, and those that survive birth often die early.

V

Valmy

Quote from: Valdemar on May 31, 2012, 07:22:56 AM
As I heard it many historians/forensics suggest syphilis or something like it based on sympthoms and the lack of children, male children and the one sick heir.

That would also fit with the increasing signs of mental instability as age set in.

IIRC one of the syphilic sideeffects is a lower probability to beget especially male children, and those that survive birth often die early.

Meh Syphillis gets over used so I am always a bit skeptical about it.  Particularly with people who become unhinged.

Valdemar

Indeed, but the inability to carry male children, or low probability with high mortality, paired with the general degeneration of mental stability, sores on legs (also diabetic, I know) and a number of other sympthoms I do not know about makes it a likely case, if not an airtight one

V

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on May 30, 2012, 08:10:52 PM
Reading Wolf Hall. 

How do you like it? I was reading it for a bit, sat it down and never picked it up again.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.