"And the Lord did spaketh unto him, and...Ow, fuck! I'm dead!"

Started by CountDeMoney, May 29, 2012, 11:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2012, 01:17:29 PM
Cool.  Surprisngly large, erm, urbanite population there, eh?

Significant in certain parts;  there's definitely stratification on the poorer side of town.

Biggest problem Bluefield had (has) is its location;  a nice, quiet border town off the beaten path near the intersection of 77 and 81, it's a substantial way station for drug trafficking (mostly grass) from the western Carolinas and northern Georgia to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Richmond and DC.  We saw a lot more NC and GA plates than you're supposed to see in that town.  Definitely attracted the attention of HIDTA.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2012, 01:27:59 PM
Biggest problem Bluefield had (has) is its location;  a nice, quiet border town off the beaten path near the intersection of 77 and 81, it's a substantial way station for drug trafficking (mostly grass) from the western Carolinas and northern Georgia to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Richmond and DC.  We saw a lot more NC and GA plates than you're supposed to see in that town.  Definitely attracted the attention of HIDTA.

My own hometown (Huntington) has apparently attracted a lot of attention from Detroit drug gangs for its high street prices.  There wasn't always a whole lot going on there, but at least crime was low while I was growing up.  Now there's not even that:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/wv/huntington/crime/#data
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2012, 01:17:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2012, 01:09:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2012, 12:47:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2012, 12:35:06 PM
The area down by that little bible college seemed nice, IIRC.  I'd go there for a BS is Snake Charming.

What was it you were down there for?

Was doing consultancy and installation work for the police department many years ago;  we wound up doing some pole can covert camera installations to cover some of the slinger streets, get out-of-state tags, etc.
I was the guy up in the bucket that looked like he was working on the lines.  :ph34r:

But that was a loooong time ago.

Cool.  Surprisngly large, erm, urbanite population there, eh?

Bluefield is about 22% African-America, so for WV, yeah, surprisingly high.  The state as a whole is less than 5% African-American.