West Point split on the fate of counterinsurgency doctrine

Started by jimmy olsen, May 28, 2012, 06:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2012, 11:54:44 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on May 30, 2012, 11:33:02 AM
as the Senior Nonlethal Advisor to the ANA Corps

That just sounds inevitably disappointing.  Should be deployed to the LAPD instead.

With his voice?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 28, 2012, 08:51:02 PM
:huh:

Had to go into Afghanistan to stomp Al Qaeda. Now that Al Qaeda's in tatters and Osama's dead we should leave.

Actually we didn't need to go into Afghanistan to do that.  We did a great job using the Northern Alliance.  What followed, at least the military operations and the state building stuff, was the waste.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2012, 12:19:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 28, 2012, 08:51:02 PM
:huh:

Had to go into Afghanistan to stomp Al Qaeda. Now that Al Qaeda's in tatters and Osama's dead we should leave.

Actually we didn't need to go into Afghanistan to do that.  We did a great job using the Northern Alliance.  What followed, at least the military operations and the state building stuff, was the waste.

Yeah, but: ZOMG WE HAVE TO SUPPORT THE LIBERATION OF OPRESSED AFGHAN WOMENZ!!!11

CountDeMoney

mongers

In some ways that's similar to the mistake the Soviets made, they took and held the main towns, airfields and road networks; more than enough to establish a friendly regime there and adequate from the American perspective to threaten Iran and the Gulf, yet then mission creep set in and they set out to defeat, the still somewhat lacklustre insurgency in the countryside. 
The rest is as 'they' say history, and oft repeated.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"