Bad manners beats nudity and violence for UK ad complaints

Started by Brazen, May 30, 2012, 09:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Only in Britain  :bowler:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18243577

QuoteThe UK's advertising watchdog has released a list of the most complained-about ads of all time. There are some surprising results.

Anyone guessing what adverts provoked the most complaints might speculate along the lines of sex, violence, swearing, animal cruelty and blasphemy.

Wrong. A Kentucky Fried Chicken TV advert, which aired in 2005 and featured call centre workers singing with their mouths full of food, is the most complained about of all time.

To coincide with its 50th anniversary, the Advertising Standards Authority has collated the 10 adverts from the past half century that have garnered the most complaints.

The KFC ad received a record 1,671. Many people felt it could encourage bad manners among children. But the complaint was not upheld by the ASA, which ruled it was unlikely to change children's behaviour or undermine parental authority.

Among the other most-complained about ads was the famous Opium perfume poster ad of model Sophie Dahl reclining on a fur rug wearing nothing but a pair of strappy high-heeled shoes and some jewellery.

Also making the top 10 were adverts featuring a blind football player kicking a cat across a pitch, a car engineer fighting with versions of himself, and two with religious themes.
Click through for the rest  :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Those Carl's Jr commercials with people dripping goop all over themselves are the worst.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.