News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hawaii verifies Obama birth records to Arizona

Started by garbon, May 23, 2012, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

In spite of clear and unequivocal evidence to the contrary, there are people who are still insisting that the black president is not a natural born American, which AFAIK is the first time such a claim has ever been made about a president.  If you have to weigh, on the basis of likelihood, whether or not racism would inform that continued assertion in spite of the evidence, well, I think it's pretty fucking obvious that it does.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 12:15:27 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 23, 2012, 11:24:54 AM
Because he is a left wing Democrat, and Jesus demands that you oppose them at any and all times and for any and all reasons no matter what.

Right so mobilizing xenophobes and racists into a frothing rage is a good plan.

You aren't listening. You don't know that they are racists - the only reason you think they are racists is that Seedy has told you so. But he is saying so for the exact same stupid reason that birthers tell you Obama isn't elgible to be president - not because it makes sense, but simply because it is simple and appealing and makes you full of righteous indignation.

It is using race as a political tool. And THAT is, well, not precisely racism, but certainly very odious.

It does not work for non-racists.  But there are plenty of other, more sane things, to do to discredit Obama to them.

It does not work for non-morons is who it doesn't work for - racists or otherwise.

You are making a completely circular argument. It doesn't work for non-racists, how do I know? Because anyone who it does work for IS A RACIST ZOMG!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on May 23, 2012, 12:29:35 PM
the only reason you think they are racists is that Seedy has told you so. But he is saying so for the exact same stupid reason that birthers tell you Obama isn't elgible to be president - not because it makes sense, but simply because it is simple and appealing and makes you full of righteous indignation.

:lol:Hear that, Valmy? YOU AR UNDER MAH POWAH

PDH

Given that there is an undercurrent of racism to some of the anti Obama folks ("Don't Re-Nig", Federal Judges sending racist anti-Obama emails to name two), it is hard to say that the birthers do not have, at least in part, this as a background.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 12:19:18 PM
John McCain was born in Panama, allegedly in "The Zone".  Why wasn't anybody asking about his birth certificate?  That's not even a state. Hmmm....
George Romney too and you know Nixon would've if it would work.  That's why I think what Grumbler said is probably right.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

My aunt still mispronounces Hawaii.

"Guys, would you like to see pictures from our 'Hawaya' trip?" :frusty:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 23, 2012, 12:29:35 PM
You aren't listening. You don't know that they are racists - the only reason you think they are racists is that Seedy has told you so. But he is saying so for the exact same stupid reason that birthers tell you Obama isn't elgible to be president - not because it makes sense, but simply because it is simple and appealing and makes you full of righteous indignation.

Nah I look at it and it looks like racism to me.  Common sense.  I mean there no scientific measurement of racism, it is a see sense feel sorta thing.  I don't think I am that overly sensitive it has to be pretty freaking blunt before I will call it such.  Also what sort of standard is that?  How would I know they are racists unless I had psychic powers?

There are plenty of reasons to oppose Obama, for one he is a terrible President and has doubled down on most of the terrible precedents that Bush did despite us electing him primarily to reverse those things (and hey he said he was going to...what a bunch of suckers we are).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Does it really matter whether birthers are racists or just morons?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on May 23, 2012, 12:33:44 PM
Given that there is an undercurrent of racism to some of the anti Obama folks ("Don't Re-Nig", Federal Judges sending racist anti-Obama emails to name two), it is hard to say that the birthers do not have, at least in part, this as a background.

Never mind that this President has seen the biggest surge of documented threats recorded by the USSS, or that he's been subject to a level of discourtesy and outright disrepect at a level never seen by any other President.  Called a liar from the floor of the House during a Presidential address?  Fingers in his face from crazy governors in Arizona?  GOP candidates that refused to address him as President Obama, just "Obama"?  Kenyan Anti-Colonialism?  The first President on record to request a date to address the House, and refused?  Black liberation?  Accused of fomenting a "less Christian" nation?

Nah, got nothing to do with him being black.

But see, that's not racism to Berkut, because he doesn't see racism.  That would be racist to see racism, and since he has tossed his lot in with racists, he would never share the same political opinions of racists, because that would be racist.

garbon

John McCain was born in Panama, allegedly in "The Zone".  Why wasn't anybody asking about his birth certificate?  That's not even a state. Hmmm....

Do you have amnesia? Issues did arise over whether or not he could be considered a "natural born citizen".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 23, 2012, 12:26:26 PM
In spite of clear and unequivocal evidence to the contrary, there are people who are still insisting that the black president is not a natural born American, which AFAIK is the first time such a claim has ever been made about a president. 

So as long as someone comes up with any "new" issue with Obama, it must be because he is black? That is your argument? You don't have to examine their claim at all, because they ARE RACIST so you can just dismiss them right out of hand.

And it is not the case that this is the first time someone has questioned the eligibility of someone running for the office of President by the way.

For example...John McCain, despite Seedys claim to the contrary, was challenged on his eligibility for exactly the stupid reason he claims:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/us/politics/11mccain.html

It didn't go anywhere of course, but then, neither has the idiotic claims that Obama isn't eligible, except among the crazies.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: dps on May 23, 2012, 11:58:16 AM
Question:  suppose Arnold Schwarzenegger ran for President.  Now, there's no doubt that he isn't a natural born American.  Are you saying that you'd be OK with him becoming President despite the fact that he's not legally eligible to do so?

Where was I saying anything about this?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2012, 12:46:54 PM

Do you have amnesia? Issues did arise over whether or not he could be considered a "natural born citizen".

I don't see anybody still bitching about it 4 years later.

Although, I do commend the Bush Machine(tm) for the whisper campaign against him, implying his psychological imbalance from his Manchurian Candidate time in Vietnam, as well as his "culluh'd chillins" in South Carolina.  Say one thing for the GOP, they have no problem eating their own.

DGuller

I think that Berkut sometimes tries so hard to be even-handed that he ignores the facts on the ground.  I think you have to be pretty delusional to not sense a strong racial undercurrent in the Republican flip-out.  I think you have to be pretty illogical to counter that argument with the fact that everyone who disapproves of Obama can't possibly be racist, because some of them voted for him.

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2012, 12:44:38 PM
Does it really matter whether birthers are racists or just morons?  :D

Not really - but what does matter is the use of race as a political bludgeon, which IMO is incredibly revolting. It is only a very small step above actual racism, and is much more dangerous, since people seem to be proud to cloak themselves as defenders of race.

It is like accusing people of being pedophiles or something.

I find it extremely objectionable that the election of a black man to the presidency means that people can and will try to use his race to shout down opposition to him, in the manner that Seedy engages in regularly. And it was a little depressing to see someone like Tamas swallow it hook, line, and sinker.

0 rows returned