News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

So its Assad plus Kurds plus Russia plus Iran vs. ISIS and whatever else is out there?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on October 01, 2015, 10:19:00 PM
So its Assad plus Kurds plus Russia plus Iran vs. ISIS and whatever else is out there?

Could be, but I think it's best to put the Kurds further away from Assad, as it's more a marriage of convienence, as before IS the Kurds (YPG) had clashed with the Syrian army and force them out of some Kurdish areas.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Wouldn't it be nice if Russia and Turkey crossed paths over this?  An established fascist country against a fascismifying country.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 01, 2015, 10:50:37 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if Russia and Turkey crossed paths over this?  An established fascist country against a fascismifying country.

They already have historical animosity, plus rather serious misalignment over the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

And a NATO ally, so I'd rather they not.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2015, 09:07:37 PM
That would be a step in the right direction.  I see no material gain for the US and little in the way of moral gain.  It's like Lebanon in the 1980's.  If we try to intervene we'll just get burned.  The only right move is not to play.

Yep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

No that would be terrible but it would never happen. Erdogan would never fight his hero.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Wouldn't it make sense for the US to now quietly and gradually pull out of the anti-ISIS bombing?

I mean Putin will bound to fight them if he wants to get Assad back. And if there is no risk of a US-Russia dogfight match or A-10s gatling gunning vacationing Russian soldiers, then it seems like a win-win situation for me: if Putin succeeds, and Assad is back in power the chaos is over, ISIS is mostly gone, and Putin can be proud about bossing over a brutal ethnic cleansing that would commence. And the western world could pose in moral superiority as much as it likes.
On the other hand, if Putin fails he will still cause losses and headache to ISIS and tie down Russian resources that could be more destructive elsewhere.

To me it seems Putin gave an awesome play to the West and it would be good to not discard it just for some short term internal PR gain.

Admiral Yi

That would be cutting and running on the Kurds, the only friends we have in the neighborhood.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2015, 02:28:28 PM
That would be cutting and running on the Kurds,

and not for the first time either.

The Kurds better get a real state out of all this.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2015, 02:28:28 PM
That would be cutting and running on the Kurds, the only friends we have in the neighborhood.

Well except for that big NATO ally in the north, that little country full of Jews along the cost, that country with the Pyramids down south and all those gulf states we have bases in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I think the emphasis was on friends rather than allies.  We have a lot of unsavory allies in the region, but I'd say that only Kurds and Israelis would qualify as friends.  And out of those two, only Kurds would qualify as trustworthy friends.

Eddie Teach

"The Kurds" are a pretty broad group and I'm not sure they're necessarily our friends. For instance, the PKK were commies.

Even assuming they can be reduced to those groups that have been working with the US in Iraq, that could easily be considered a marriage of convenience.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I think there are caveats on the Kurds as there are on everyone else.  The State Department declared the PKK a terrorist group a while back.  Despite the animus towards Erdogan the US still does joint exercises with Turkey.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017