News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Warspite on November 06, 2014, 04:33:07 AM
The idea of ISIS as a Western conspiracy is quite widespread in the Middle East.

Heh, that is truly bizarre, given that ISIL is running roughshod, taking over towns and cities, and is in the news. Do the people of the Mid East think all of that is a put on by the ebil West?? Then too, I'm sure it isn't so widespread of a conspiracy to the people of Iraq and Syria who live under their control. And it can't be a conspiracy to the men and foolish women who travel to Syria to join up, women basically becoming indentured servants at best as third class citizens. I wonder how well that sits with the girls/women from western nations?

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on November 06, 2014, 04:42:00 AM
The idea of ISIS as a Western conspiracy is quite widespread in the Middle East.

Tell me a single problem in the Middle East which is not blamed on the West and/or the Jews.

Pretty much everything is a conspiracy. It shows a lack of Enlightenment style use of reason when everybody considers ISIS not to be what they say they are, but rather a plot against themselves and sponsored by their enemies.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Tell me a single problem in the Middle East which is not blamed on the West and/or the Jews.

:hmm:

Maybe something they don't see as a problem, like lack of rights for women or gays. But then you probably will have westerners blaming ourselves for those.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 06, 2014, 08:55:29 AM

Maybe something they don't see as a problem, like lack of rights for women or gays. But then you probably will have westerners blaming ourselves for those.  :rolleyes:

Never doubt, there are western thinkers working on providing the intellectual basis for blaming this too on Bush.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KRonn

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2014, 09:06:05 AM

Never doubt, there are western thinkers working on providing the intellectual basis for blaming this too on Bush.

Lol, ISIL doesn't need to waste the effort on propaganda when we have our own intellectual elites to do it for them.   ;)

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on November 06, 2014, 09:33:21 AM

Lol, ISIL doesn't need to waste the effort on propaganda when we have our own intellectual elites to do it for them.   ;)

No, the ISIS propaganda campaign towards us is a complete failure. They keep saying that "We want to kill you because you are  infidels!" and we keep ignoring them and blaming ourselves for what they do. It is denying these people agency. If I were denied agency like that I would be angry too.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2014, 08:47:00 AM

Pretty much everything is a conspiracy. It shows a lack of Enlightenment style use of reason when everybody considers ISIS not to be what they say they are, but rather a plot against themselves and sponsored by their enemies.

I typically share this opinion, but an idea has occurred to me.  If you live in a country where the government is constantly conspiring against the public, it would probably make it difficult to tell fantasy from reality.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2014, 09:44:37 AM

No, the ISIS propaganda campaign towards us is a complete failure. They keep saying that "We want to kill you because you are  infidels!" and we keep ignoring them and blaming ourselves for what they do. It is denying these people agency. If I were denied agency like that I would be angry too.
Yeah, that is probably more accurate how we blame ourselves for everything, even in the face of extreme nastiness like ISIL. My view is that this is more about a cultural war within Islam between the radicals and the normal people. But blaming the west for everything fits and is a handy scapegoat for them to rally the troops, even though they've really made most of their own larger problems.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2014, 09:44:37 AM

So what you are saying is that we are to blame for them being angry at us?  :hmm:

Hansmeister

Well, the two main rebel groups in the east fighting ISIL have surrendered, rendering the Obama strategy, and I'm being charitable, inoperative.  The only rebels still left are concentrated in the west and fighting only against Assad, training rebels to fight ISIL can't wo if there aren't an rebels near them.

Then again I bel, like most experts, that Obama never had any real intention to fight ISIL, he just wanted to pretend he is doing something until after the election.

Admiral Yi

If the moderate rebels turn out to be a bust it could end up biting Hillary in her titanic ass.  :ph34r:

Hansmeister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 10:37:01 PM
If the moderate rebels turn out to be a bust it could end up biting Hillary in her titanic ass.  :ph34r:

Well, to be fair, the strategy of training 5,000 rebels over the next 6 months to take on the 20,000 men of ISIL in Syria never sounded like it would have had any probability of success. Without any remaining bases in eastern Syria that option is now closed.

On the other side the ANSF has suffered over 9,000 KIA in the last two years, and a much larger number of WIA and defections in Afghanistan, losses that are not sustainable, meaning we will either have to reverse the drawdown or hope our embassy has a large enough helipad on the roof. On current course Afghanistan will collapse before Obama's term is up.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 10:37:01 PM

Turn out?  That ship sailed a couple years ago I think.
I agree with Hans that the strategy is just to go through the motions for appearances.  That and help the Kurds just enough they can hang on.
However, it is not clear that there is really a better option out there. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

I have not followed developments in Syria or this thread.  So is there a three-way war in Syria now (government, rebels, ISIL)?  Or what? 

The Minsky Moment

It's every pissant faction for itself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson