News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2012, 02:28:29 AM
Can someone in the Greater English Pacific Prosperity Sphere please punch Timmy for me? Thanks.

why?  :huh:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tamas on October 05, 2012, 02:28:26 AM
I have been thinking.

Parallels with the 1930s are abound.

One of the things during the late 30s was there it seemed like a good idea to have agressive strong countries reclaim some of their old possessions, in the name of stability.

Isn't the apparent silent approval to have Turkey do as he wishes with Syria the same phenomenom? Will it have similar consequences?
The only apparent approval we see is mostly coming from Tim.
PDH!

Tamas

It also has my approval as well. Turkey>taliban-like fucktards.

DGuller

:o  Hungarian supporting Ottomans?  Are events from 500 years ago ancient history to you?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2012, 01:37:10 PM
:o  Hungarian supporting Ottomans?  Are events from 500 years ago ancient history to you?

Of course not.  That's the problem with fruity ass Europeans;  they take shit like that seriously, like it happened yesterday.

Maximus

One of the things during the late 30s was there it seemed like a good idea to have agressive strong countries reclaim some of their old possessions, in the name of stability.
:unsure: Can you give an example?

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2012, 01:37:10 PM

I am taking the lesser evil, plus my Magyar-istic motivation is a bit more complex than that: division of the two multi-ethnic states, which weren't great by any stretch of the word but provided stability to powder kegs, was a pretty bad idea. Seeing that partially remedied would be nice.

Also Turkey is better than Saudis or Iranians.

Or not. Hence my point. Maybe me and others thinking like this performing the same mistake the Hitler-apologists did. Especially since I have a pretty low opinion on Erdogan.

I am going to drink more whiskey now.

Razgovory

I have been thinking.

Parallels with the 1930s are abound.

Isn't the apparent silent approval to have Turkey do as he wishes with Syria the same phenomenom? Will it have similar consequences?

Who cares?  It'd be fun to watch.  I'd like to see a major military action that doesn't involve the US for once.  Let someone else play in the sand box for a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

:hmm:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_SYRIA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-05-13-37-31
QuoteOn Friday, a Syrian mortar round again hit inside Turkey, causing no injuries, and Turkish troops returned fire, the state-run news agency Anadolu said.

In the past, Turkey did not respond to stray Syrian shells, but Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan suggested Friday that those days are over. "I once again call on Assad's regime and its supporters: Do not try to test Turkey's patience, do not try to test Turkey's limits," Erdogan said.

Earlier in the day, Turkey had deployed more troops on its border with Syria.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2012/Oct-05/190289-turkey-pm-says-syria-will-pay-price-if-it-strikes-again.ashx#ixzz28TtVchnw
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)
Turkey warns Syria more strikes would be fatal mistake
October 05, 2012 10:30 PM
By Ece Toksabay
Reuters

ISTANBUL: Turkey's prime minister said on Friday his country did not want war but warned Syria not to make a "fatal mistake" by testing its resolve, and its army retaliated for a third day running after more mortar rounds from Syria landed on its soil.

In a belligerent speech to a crowd in Istanbul, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan warned Syrian President Bashar al-Assad that Turkey would not shy away from war if provoked.

The speech followed a Syrian mortar barrage on a town in southeast Turkey that killed five people on Wednesday.

Turkish artillery bombarded Syrian military targets on Wednesday and Thursday in response, killing several Syrian soldiers, and the Turkish parliament authorised cross-border military action in the event of further aggression.

"We are not interested in war, but we're not far from war either. This nation has come to where it is today having gone through intercontinental wars," Erdogan said in his speech.

"Those who attempt to test Turkey's deterrence, its decisiveness, its capacity, I say here they are making a fatal mistake."

At least two mortar bombs fired from Syria landed in farmland in Turkey's southern Hatay province on Friday, one of them around 50 metres into Turkish territory, and a military unit responded immediately, Hatay Governor Celalettin Lekesiz was quoted as saying by the state-run Anatolian news agency.

A government official told Reuters there had been similar incidents over the past ten days due to intensifying skirmishes on the Syrian side of the border, and that the Turkish army had been responding in kind. But he said Wednesday's fatal strike on the town of Akcakale had been of a different magnitude.

"If there was gunfire, we returned the gunfire, if there was a shell we returned two or three shells, to warn them and deter them. Until Akcakale we were not very concerned that they were deliberate," the official said, asking not to be identified.

"Wednesday was different. There were five or six rounds into the same place. That's why we responded a couple of times, to warn and deter. To tell the (Syrian) military to leave. We think they've got the message and have pulled back from the area."

Turkish broadcaster NTV said Syria had given the order for its warplanes and helicopters not to enter an area within 10 km (six miles) of the Turkish border and had ordered its artillery units not to fire shells in areas close to the border.

There was no confirmation of this from the Syrian authorities.

"If Turkey had been a country that was interested in going to war, when the plane was downed it could have used that as an excuse and flattened Syria," EU Affairs Minister Egemen Bagis was quoted as saying on Friday, referring to Turkey's restraint when Syria shot down a Turkish reconnaissance jet in June.

"Thankfully Turkey's military power today is at the point where it could destroy Syria within a few hours. But we don't have any problem with the Syrian people," Bagis was quoted as saying by the Radikal newspaper.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

So why shouldn't the rebels shell Turkey with mortars ad inifinitum? It is in their interest to harass Turkey, not the military's.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Rebels capture an armory

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDmeX5cy70c

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Latest update:  God is still great.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on October 06, 2012, 03:58:38 AM
So why shouldn't the rebels shell Turkey with mortars ad inifinitum? It is in their interest to harass Turkey, not the military's.

Most modern armies have counter-battery radar they can use to shell the spot an incoming round came from.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2012, 02:22:20 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 06, 2012, 03:58:38 AM

Most modern armies have counter-battery radar they can use to shell the spot an incoming round came from.
Damn, that would be very useful in World of Tanks.  :hmm: