And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 12:38:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 12:34:11 PM
We'd still have our fingerprints all over it, as far as most of the world is concerned.  The French would fuck it all up & we'd be stuck with the blame.

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't, so who cares about that?

Then go with the option that costs less money.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:00:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 12:38:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 12:34:11 PM
We'd still have our fingerprints all over it, as far as most of the world is concerned.  The French would fuck it all up & we'd be stuck with the blame.

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't, so who cares about that?

Then go with the option that costs less money.

Why? Why shouldn't we just do what we think is best (which may or may not coincide with the cheapest option)?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on July 19, 2012, 12:54:00 PM
Meh, compared to what has been spent in Iraq, Afghanistan or other interventions it was cheap for getting rid of Qaddafi and with less long term commitment.

I don't care what it cost relative to Iraq, Afghanistan, WWII, or whatever.  The absolute cost is what's important.  We spent a lot of money we didn't have on a war that IMO did not serve our national interests.  While it was cool to see Qaddafi get whacked and then used as a ventriloquist doll, I think we should've let someone else foot the bill.

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 12:56:26 PM
Our involvement in Libya was absolutely money well spent (and pretty darn cheap too). 

Yours might have been, for all I know.  Any idea what Canada spent?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 01:04:23 PM
Why? Why shouldn't we just do what we think is best (which may or may not coincide with the cheapest option)?

Okay, then what is best.  Thought you said we were damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:06:26 PM
Meh, compared to what has been spent in Iraq, Afghanistan or other interventions it was cheap for getting rid of Qaddafi and with less long term commitment.

I don't care what it cost relative to Iraq, Afghanistan, WWII, or whatever.  The absolute cost is what's important.  We spent a lot of money we didn't have on a war that IMO did not serve our national interests.  While it was cool to see Qaddafi get whacked and then used as a ventriloquist doll, I think we should've let someone else foot the bill.

Our involvement in Libya was absolutely money well spent (and pretty darn cheap too). 

Did you think Iraq served our interests?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:07:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2012, 01:04:23 PM

Okay, then what is best.  Thought you said we were damned if we do, damned if we don't.

We are - as in opinion by other nations/groups...so I don't see why we don't simply do what we think is best and leaving the hand-wringers to their hand-wrining.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

How much do you think the US spent.  A billion dollars?

I'd pay a billion dollars to get rid of Qadaffi in exchange for a sort-of democracy in a second.

Canada sent 7 planes and a couple of ships.  Pretty sure you could add them up to $50 or $500 mil.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Better watch that bragging about Canada's relative welath, BB. We'lll be asked to pay a bigger share of expenses next time.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on July 19, 2012, 01:24:22 PM

Better watch that bragging about Canada's relative welath, BB. We'lll be asked to pay a bigger share of expenses next time.  ;)

Well I for one think Canada should do a better job at sharing the welath internationally. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 19, 2012, 01:09:22 PM
Did you think Iraq served our interests?

I think the invasion did.  But I don't think that's relevant to this conversation.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2012, 01:14:51 PM
How much do you think the US spent.  A billion dollars?

Best I could find on a cursory search was a billion as of last August.  Don't know how much we spent after that. 

QuoteI'd pay a billion dollars to get rid of Qadaffi in exchange for a sort-of democracy in a second.

That's fine for you.  My country is flat broke & can't afford to blow our money on stuff like that.

DGuller

But apparently it can afford to blow a trillion dollars on Iraq.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2012, 11:20:22 AM
LOL, Russia and China at it again, cock-blocking the Security Council on sanctions "just because".

Its just because they are sociopathic kleptocracies.
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2012, 02:01:01 PM
But apparently it can afford to blow a trillion dollars on Iraq.

First, I would not have spent that much.  Secondly, you people stop bringing up Iraq.  Thirdly, spending too much money on one thing is not justification to spend additional money (even if a smaller amount) on something else later.

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 01:51:48 PM
That's fine for you.  My country is flat broke & can't afford to blow our money on stuff like that.

We waste a billion dollars on weapon systems we never use, or pork barrel projects to nowhere.  Getting rid of a crappy dictator for a billion dollars?  That's a bargain you can't pass up.  Hell, for a billion dollars a pop we could change the regime of every country in the world for what it cost to occupy Iraq each year.