Started by Siege, May 06, 2009, 08:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Admiral Yi

Congrats Seeb.

Do the HALO training next.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 06, 2009, 10:24:46 PM
Congrats. How's the M107? I always understood that bad boy was so loud and had so much muzzle flash that it ONLY works as a distance weapon.

It is indeed very loud and the muzzle flash is massive. Lets just say that if you fire the 107 from an sniper hide, it ain't a hide no more. I fired the thing from a house in our MOUT range (Military Operations in Urbanized Terrain) and the whole house shaked when I fired, and my position got covered by a cloud of dust lifted by the gas from propelant in the cartridge.

The M107 have a muzzle brake that takes 30% of the gas to diminish the recoil. This gas goes back at you in a 45 degree angle from the lenght of the barrel. It doesn't hit you or anything, but it blows away whatever you might have next to you, and if there is dust around you, it will cover you in a cloud.

It is intended to be a long range weapon, but the problem with that is that is not very acurate. Its barely a 3 MOA gun (Minutes Of an Angle). Depending on the ammo, for all practical porpouses is a 4 MOA gun. At 1000m the rounds will hit anywhere within a 40 inches circle. This is not shooter error, but the inherent acuracy of the weapon and the ammo. It is a great weapon system if it is used as it was intended by the designers, as a materiel destruction weapon, to destroy vehicles, large equipment like radars or commo platforms, and covered enemy positions. It does goes through walls. It is great as an anti-sniper weapon because of its ability to penetrate walls and rubble, plus its range of up to 2000m. But if you think you gonna hit a dude walking around at 1500m...

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2009, 12:16:13 AM
Congrats Seeb.

Do the HALO training next.

High Altitud Low Openning?

Hell no. I ain't gonna break my legs doing that shit.

Send Alci to that one.

MadImmortalMan

So are you off to Polk soon to train the newbs and then on to Iraq again in the fall?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eochaid

It's been a while

Phillip V

Impressive. Hopefully, one of my sons will be an elite combat arms guy. I will have to stick with the soft stuff as a Signal/Civil Affairs guy.

Siege

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 07, 2009, 02:03:46 AM
So are you off to Polk soon to train the newbs and then on to Iraq again in the fall?

Yeah, we are doing a JRTC rotation and from there all our gear will ship straight to the sandbox.

Josquius

Aint you ever seen Jarhead (I think that was the one)
Snipers are dead. :(
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Nice!  Congratulations.

Good luck on your next deployment.

Valmy

Are they sending you to Afghanistan soon?  I would like to hear about you picking off those school destroying Taliban assholes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 01:43:09 PM
Are they sending you to Afghanistan soon?  I would like to hear about you picking off those school destroying Taliban assholes.

I wish I could.

I volunteered to go to 5th SBCT, I went there and talked to their S-1, but my friggin Sergeant Major didn't let me go.
I was so pissed of. 5th Brigade is going to be the surge in Afghanistan, like we were in Iraq in 2007. And Im gonna miss it.

I don't even want to think about it.

I'm gonna be wasting my fucking time in Iraq while there is a real war going on in Afghanistan.
The war in Iraq is over. We are done over there. Nobody is leaving the wire to do missions without 2 fucking iraqi judges signing on the orders.

The Brain

Grats! You kick ass, Siege! :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on May 07, 2009, 12:42:12 AM
High Altitud Low Openning?

Hell no. I ain't gonna break my legs doing that shit.

Send Alci to that one.

Truth. My uncle in the 82nd Airborne had to be honorably discharged after he destroyed his knees via a HALO exercise where he was landing on a bucking carrier in the Mediterranean. The only net positive was it kept him from going into Desert Shield.
Experience bij!