Barrister's obnoxious thread full of smug parenting stories

Started by Barrister, May 17, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Okay, so these stories get less and less cutesy as time goes by, but such is life.

So for some reason TIm has gotten really into business and investing.  I think he must be caught in some kind of Youtube loop where when you watch one video, it keeps giving you more and more of the same.

So at first it was a bunch of questions about franchises - how they work, how much do they cost, that sort of thing.  But now it's been more about investing.  Last night he was asking me about index funds.

I just like it because for years and years my kids have asked me questions I have absolutely no idea about.  "Dad, what's the biggest snake in the world".  "Dad, who would win in a fight - Godzilla or King Kong".  No idea.

But "Dad, what's an index fund"?  Yeah I'm on that like white on rice.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Okay, so yesterday I woke Time up at 5:15 am because he had a 6:15 bonus hockey practice before school.  Lasts one hour.

Then he had has regular team practice from 5:30 to 6:30.

He gets home, and the first thing I hear is "Hey dad - the outdoor rink is open - do you want to go?"  So I spent an hour just noodling around with him in the middle of the ice.  Then, just as I was ready to go, a bunch of kids (teens really) start piling their sticks in the ice to divvy up teams for shinny.  So I let him play for another half hour.

So that was three and a half hours on the ice yesterday.  I guess he really does like hockey.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2022, 01:03:06 PMThat's so arch-Canadian eh? :Canuck: :cheers:

Out door rinks are awesome. :cool:

I didn't participate in the shinny though.  I was older than anyone there by at least 20 years and I was tired.

I do think Tim (who was one of, if not the, youngest one there) was kind of showing off though. <_<  But I guess when you're 12 whats the point of doing all this hockey practice (against kids just as good if not better than you) if you can't show off at the local ODR...

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Shinny is special hockey terminology for pick up game?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2022, 01:36:07 PMShinny is special hockey terminology for pick up game?

Yes. To me it's even more informal than a pick up game. Having actual goals is not mandatory. Like a basketball game without baskets.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on December 16, 2022, 01:13:35 PMHow's your son liking catholic school?

He likes the school, still is confused by religion class.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 16, 2022, 01:49:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2022, 01:36:07 PMShinny is special hockey terminology for pick up game?

Yes. To me it's even more informal than a pick up game. Having actual goals is not mandatory. Like a basketball game without baskets.

???

Of course you try to score goals.  If you're not trying to put the puck in the net then what are you actually doing?

Do you mean just not keeping score?

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2022, 01:52:57 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 16, 2022, 01:13:35 PMHow's your son liking catholic school?

Tell him to let the love of Jesus into his heart and it'll make sense.

:P

Grade 9 should still be catholism, gets interesting in 11. Glad he's liking it though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on December 16, 2022, 01:59:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2022, 01:52:57 PM

Tell him to let the love of Jesus into his heart and it'll make sense.

:P

Grade 9 should still be catholism, gets interesting in 11. Glad he's liking it though.

And he's just in grade 7.

I mentioned I quite enjoyed religion class in high school, but it might not be your standard catholic school religion class since it was a Jesuit school.

Jacob

I quite enjoyed religion class in elementary school (for a couple of years it was "Christianity class" even), but it was much more a "here's what the lore is" with no "you ought to believe it"... at least from my perspective.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2022, 01:53:46 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 16, 2022, 01:49:50 PM

???

Of course you try to score goals.  If you're not trying to put the puck in the net then what are you actually doing?

Do you mean just not keeping score?

Nets.

I meant Nets. Couldn't for the life of me, remember the term.  <_<