Razorcrypts--a DF AAR

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 16, 2012, 02:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

On the wall of Neil's tomb, a pic of Wiggin busting goblin heads.

MadImmortalMan

4th Granite 117 Early Spring

The ledgers are remarkably accurate to start the year, thanks to the efforts of PDH. He keeps the books to ten decimals of accuracy while still finding time to be a masterful swordsdwarf goblinslayer. A true renaissance dwarf. The crafting facilities are much more productive as well thanks to Richard Hakluyt.

The Council

As the new year begins, the forces of evil feel the need to torment us once more.

Merithyn has gone up on top of the archer's tower and is just sulking. Has the demon convinced her to jump? What's going on?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 15, 2012, 09:48:49 PM
We sadly found Joan Robinson and Fireblade dead on the hillside below.

In the long run, we're all dead. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

She's still up in the tower. I don't know what she wants, but I built a loom and a clothier's shop in case that was it. We've got all the other kinds of workshops.

Anyway, here is some of the decor from the tombs of JR and Fireblade.

MadImmortalMan

17th Slate 117

Ah crap.

She's gone insane up in that tower. At least she's away from the others for now. Hopefully she won't go all sniper in the clocktower on us. She's got enough ammo up there to supply a whole squad for a year of siege. Maybe we should try to talk her down.

20th Slate

meri has left the tower and bolted straight for the meeting hall where she continues to mumble nonsense and frighten the children. Hopefully, some time spent among the great artworks in there will soothe her and drive the demons away before something terrible happens.

MadImmortalMan

Later that same day:

A great rumbling and howling is coming up from the wellshaft. Suddenly the entire population is on edge. Something is in the caverns, and not the far deep ones. It is close.

27th Slate 117

The roars and howls have faded but we still hear them. I think I am beginning to hear them in my sleep. Some dwarves have reported the well water tastes more bitter than it used to. Salty.

The liaison once again offers to make us pay taxes to the 'Boats, and I decline his generosity.

16th Felsite 117

Another goblin ambush is spotted in the south, and the alarm is sounded. I was out hunting with Valmy at the time. The enemy somehow were able to approach rather close to the fort before they were seen, and some of them had already ambushed some unarmed dwarves. There was general chaos. Our fort Manager managed to get three of them to chase him up the causeway.

One of them was caught, but then RH began running away from the traps. sbr, who had been out cutting trees saw it and came rushing out after them.

One down.

The other goblin is swinging furiously at Rich, but sbr is almost there.

RH is saved, but he's badly injured.

On the other side of the clearing, Raz dispatched another one.

DSB stumbled on another near the entrance looking to take some children. That goblin met a similar fate with an iron mace in its skull.

The last one is up in the hills chasing Tyr and Barrister, both of whom are unarmed! And Barrister is wearing his bright-red mechanic's outfit, which stands out like blood in the snow. It has a big white leaf on the back of it. Looks ridiculous.

After a bit of running in circles, Barrister takes a left, splitting away from Tyr. The goblin stays right on Tyr's heels, and Barrister escapes!

Suddenly, Tyr sees an Elven caravan arriving just to the north, and heads right for them.

The elves spot the action and a well-placed arrow ends the situation. Our hunter escaped with an injured hand. Barrister unscathed.

MadImmortalMan

Barrister's Great Project

After Yi accidentally breached a cavern wall the first time, it occurred to the council that we may not be able to rely solely on our existing defenses in the event of attack from below. We would need something to slow down the enemy in the event that the lower tunneling projects made another breach which was exploited before we could wall it off. Since that time, Barrister has been down in a passage that leads between the lower reaches and our home creating a backup contingency.

It is a mix of stonefall traps and cages mostly, with the odd eccentricity thrown in the mix.

MadImmortalMan

21st Hematite 117, Early Summer

merithyn has died of thirst in her rooms, not having had the sense to get a drink. Truly she will be marked in the records as having been slain by demonic posession. A tomb is set aside for her, and will be engraved shortly. I think we should begin some burial slabs for the others we've lost as well.

No sooner had we eulogised merithyn than another dwarf falls prey to the evil winds of the heartless north.

He's claimed one of the craftsdwarf's workshops from Wags, who now is telling everyone he's "on vacation".

Fireblade

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 15, 2012, 09:48:49 PM
We sadly found Joan Robinson and Fireblade dead on the hillside below. Both surrounded by goblin and monster corpses.

So I died like a true dorf? I approve.  :ccr

PDH

PDH marks in his private ledger:

At next council meeting, bring up need for many, many more tombs.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM