Do you help your parents financially?

Started by Martinus, July 17, 2012, 11:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Marty's mom is Polish, so one could perhaps make a crack involving getting invaded from three sides.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

The funny part in this thread is Marty pretending his family wasnt privileged in commie times.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 18, 2012, 09:03:48 AM
Marty's mom is Polish, so one could perhaps make a crack involving getting invaded from three sides.  :hmm:

Yo Momma's so Polish the Germans and the Russians take turns?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2012, 09:22:13 AM
The funny part in this thread is Marty pretending his family wasnt privileged in commie times.

It wasn't, at least not in terms of the communist regime. My dad was a small entrepreneur - he owned a car repair garage. This meant he was actually considered a class enemy under the commie regime, but could eke a good existence because private services (read: being able to repair your car without waiting 3 years in a government car repair queue) were scarce.

Paradoxically, with the coming of capitalism this was no longer the case and since we had hyperinflation as we came out of communism, it didn't do you much good to save money. Fortunately, as he is also quite a talented artisan he collected a bunch of ruined antique cars during the 1980s and the 1990s and renovated them at a great personal time and cost expense and was first able to rent them out in the 1990s for movies and weddings and the like, and later on sell them on.

My mom was a small town medical doctor and earned pittance.

They never joined the communist party. My dad's two brothers were murdered in Katyn by the Soviets (by dad's dad was a kulak) and my mom's parents were in the pro-West resistance during the war, so they also were persecuted during the Stalinist era.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on July 18, 2012, 09:40:41 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 18, 2012, 09:03:48 AM

Yo Momma's so Polish the Germans and the Russians take turns?
:lol:

Actually, my mom's first serious boyfriend was Hungarian. I shudder to think I could have been a compatriot of Tamas.

crazy canuck

Once again Marti is pure class.  Perhaps if he paid his boyfriend more Marti might get more and be less, well, like Marti.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Martinus on July 18, 2012, 07:24:59 AM
Anyway, I help my parents to the tune of app. $2,000 per month. Considering their Polish communist era pensions give a grand total of app. $500 per month (they didn't work in the military or the secret service, where the pensions are high), it's needed.

I wish my parents were rich nomenklatura and could give me cash. :(
How did I know this was coming when I saw this thread? He managed to hold it to page 2. Just barely.

MadBurgerMaker