And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on June 25, 2012, 02:33:59 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 02:30:45 PM
I don't know - seems like the Spanich have to spend an inordinate amount of CPs keeping the English from winning the game by just farming NW piracy VP.

This makes the fallacious assumption that the only way to prevent England from gaining piracy VPs is to build anti-piracy defenses.  Forcing England to worry about how many Catholic spaces there are in the English zone is much more CP-intensive for England than resorting to piracy due to the high likelihood of unrest and the concern over the English Catholic Rebellion.

Yeah seems like a big piece in keeping each-other down is to worry them in some other aspect.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on June 25, 2012, 02:31:58 PM
Is there some reason France has never landed troops in Ireland to take Dublin?

Is there some reason that you keep trying this line of thought even though you can't honestly believe it?

That is

Is there some reason that you keep trying this line of thought even though you can't honestly believe it?

That is what I thought.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

I can't really think of a reason why France would try and attack England. France doesn't really have the ships to pester England much and if they really geared themselves up for that, they'd leave themselves exposed to the Huguenots at the very least.  Only real hope I guess is somewhat of a proxy war via Scotland.

It also fits the time period - France was too busy with its Wars of Religion to think about landing forces in the isles (apart from Scotland).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 02:40:10 PM

That is

That is what I thought.

:unsure:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

No, clearly France and England are natural enemies and Spain is just supposed to sit on its hands.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2012, 02:39:03 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 25, 2012, 02:33:59 PM
I don't know - seems like the Spanich have to spend an inordinate amount of CPs keeping the English from winning the game by just farming NW piracy VP.

This makes the fallacious assumption that the only way to prevent England from gaining piracy VPs is to build anti-piracy defenses.  Forcing England to worry about how many Catholic spaces there are in the English zone is much more CP-intensive for England than resorting to piracy due to the high likelihood of unrest and the concern over the English Catholic Rebellion.

Yeah seems like a big piece in keeping each-other down is to worry them in some other aspect.

Another big piece is in making sure that everyone is keeping everyone down - assuming that the Spanish are solely responsible for keeping England in control while you farm your own VPs and ignore others may result in you winning - if in fact the Spanish choose England to focus on to your exclusion. But if they decide to focus on you, or split their focus, and then England hits on 60% of their piracy dice...well, that means you get to come in second.

Jeromey basic position here is that only Spain can keep England under control. THat is either

1. Not true, or
2. True, in which case this isn't a very well designed game.

I suspect it is more #1 than #2, although with only a single play through, it is hard to be sure.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

QuoteSpain moves all Jesuits on the Spanish power card to unoccupied spaces in England. Spain may move one Jesuit that was already in England to a new space. This space may be occupied but it may not already contain a Jesuit. If any of these spaces that Jesuits are moving into are under Protestant religious influence, immediately convert it to Catholic religious influence.

To Spain to resolve.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on June 25, 2012, 02:43:43 PM
No, clearly France and England are natural enemies and Spain is just supposed to sit on its hands.

Spain did not sit on their hands, obviously, and France and England were both far, far ahead of Spain in VPs.

You DID sit on your hands in respect to England - I find it puzzling that you are seriously arguing that the problem here is that Spain should have done more to stop England, considering I was the only player to do ANYTHING to stop them.

If the key to the game is that Spain should do even more (I won't say while France and anyone else does less, since that would not really be possilbe), then this isn't a very good game.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 02:51:03 PM
Jeromey basic position here is that only Spain can keep England under control.

That's bullshit and you know it.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 02:51:03 PM
Jeromey basic position here is that only Spain can keep England under control. THat is either

1. Not true, or
2. True, in which case this isn't a very well designed game.

I suspect it is more #1 than #2, although with only a single play through, it is hard to be sure.

Eh, I think Spain can do whatever they want, but they need to do a bunch of shit at the same time.  If Spain gives up on fucking over the Protestants, they can run over the HRE or overrun England or whatnot.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 02:53:04 PM
You DID sit on your hands in respect to England

What should I have done, exactly?  Built a fleet to conquer England?

I think you know very well that France has a difficult time doing much about England while Spain has a very easy time of it and I am not sure why you continue to argue that France should expend everything possible in order vaguely worry England.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

As much fun as debating in circles is likely to  be, can we press on with the game in the middle of it?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

Quote from: Habbaku on June 25, 2012, 02:16:43 PM
Congrats to Drakken, by the way, who would have had an easy time taking Dublin, but would prefer to burn piles of CPs in an (likely vain) attempt to take a French key instead.

Dude, I count three against you. I just have to push into your frontiers and your rotten structure falls down. Why would I waste CPs for Ireland, which has next to no use to me than being a nuisance to England, when I can use this CP to tear France apart and gain keys from you?

Your free "Entente" with England just made sure he hadn't to worry too much from your part and concentrate on overgaming Drake to give himself a cumulative Piracy VP victory, safe from his corner of map. You dumped Scotland as a gun pointed on England's head, so England had no threat at all to mind for 4 Turns in a row. Don't blame the situation on me, I can't even reach England. :rolleyes:

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on June 25, 2012, 02:55:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 02:53:04 PM
You DID sit on your hands in respect to England

What should I have done, exactly?  Built a fleet to conquer England?

I think you know very well that France has a difficult time doing much about England while Spain has a very easy time of it and I am not sure why you continue to argue that France should expend everything possible in order vaguely worry England.

I suspect that there might be something in between doing nothing, which is what you did do, and do "everything possible". Doing SOMETHING possible might be a start.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Drakken, Dublin is a key and takes far fewer CPs to take than anything in France does.  Your argument is more than a little weak.

-J. R. R. Tolkien