News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Ottoman Empire announces:

-a card draw offered to Spain IF Spain gives back all the remaining Ottoman holdings he has
-a card draw to France
-an offer of peace to the HRE

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Spain accepts the offer from the Ottomans (and notes as a reminder that there is additional, undisclosed stipulations he will expect the Sultan to continue to honor).

Spain offers the following package deal to the Protestants:
Peace
Protestants cede control of Brussels and Mons to Spain
Spain cedes control of Lille to the Protestants

Spain offers an alliance to the HRE.

Spain regrets to mention that due to ongoing diplomatic efforts, previously agreed upon arrangements with our French friends and allies will not be able to be met at this time.

Spain agrees to accept a card draw from England as a token of their commitment to the ongoing effort to keep the continent safe and in a state of balance.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

England mutters something about the damned Spanish and declines.  No further announcements, in keeping with the English isolation on the Island.

Habbaku

Well, at least the English haven't been duped into giving the Spanish even more gold.  Hopefully the HRE realizes that Spain has plenty of room to maneuver on their own without an alliance with them as well.

France accepts the card draw from the Ottomans and offers an alliance to the HRE.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Habbaku I accidently gave you two cards, I want the second one back :P

Drakken

- HRE accepts a white peace with the Ottomans
- HRE accepts Spain's offer of alliance
- HRE offers 4 mercenaries to the Protestants in exchange of a particular event card.

Rule question: Do I have to state the card being exchanged, if the card has been decided in advance?

ulmont

Quote from: Drakken on June 14, 2012, 01:47:23 PM
- HRE offers 4 mercenaries to the Protestants in exchange of a particular event card.

Rule question: Do I have to state the card being exchanged, if the card has been decided in advance?

Actually, the exchange of a particular event card is not a game changing state that you can make.  That basically means you offer 4 mercenaries to the Prots and hope he plays the right event or gives you the right card later (presumably through Taxis or similar), but it's not enforceable.

Only the exchange of random card draws and the other items listed in the diplo section (mercs, alliances, peaces) are  enforced by the rules.

Habbaku

You don't even have to state that you're giving him the mercenaries in exchange for a card.  He isn't giving the card to you, after all, but plans on playing it as event, right?

All you have to do is announce you're giving him the mercenaries.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on June 14, 2012, 01:47:23 PM

Nope on two fronts. 1) Technically one (in this case me) isn't bound on such a matter as it doesn't affect game state.  2) Habbs and I did something similar and we didn't even mention it during diplo bit (as again doesn't actually affect game state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

Quote from: Habbaku on June 14, 2012, 01:53:26 PM
You don't even have to state that you're giving him the mercenaries in exchange for a card.  He isn't giving the card to you, after all, but plans on playing it as event, right?

No, he is giving me the card.

Drakken

I thought every sensitive part had to me announced in the diplo resolution phase (and cards being given/exchanged would count as one), and so what was the deal for my mercenaries.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on June 14, 2012, 01:56:58 PM
I thought every sensitive part had to me announced in the diplo resolution phase (and cards being given/exchanged would count as one), and so what was the deal for my mercenaries.

Check the rules for diplo. My part of the deal doesn't need announcing as you've entered into what is essentially a gentleman's agreement. Only bits that change game state are announced (so you have to announce that mercs were given to me).

Now don't worry, I've every intention of honoring my part of the bargain! :)

Habbaku

Quote from: Drakken on June 14, 2012, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 14, 2012, 01:53:26 PM

No, he is giving me the card.

He cannot grant you a specific card.  All cards granted during diplomacy are random.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Drakken, read the rules. Please.

He cannot give you a card in the diplomacy phase. He can give you a random card draw, or a random treasure draw.

If you cannot do it during the diplo phase, there is no reason to announce it during the diplo phase.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned