News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I did.  That's why it's easier to keep the markers off of their space's religious affiliation.  So I can look at the board.  ;)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on June 18, 2012, 08:56:45 AM
The Drake/Hawkins expedition succeeds in the antilles, exploding a Spanish fortress, snagging a VP, destroying a patrol and taking a treasure while receiving no hits.

Frobisher, meanwhile, successfully returns from circumnavigating the globe.

To finish it off the English patronize an artist and build a merc in London.

English are done for the turn.

Ignoring for the moment the rather ridiculous amoutns of luck involved here, and couple things:

1. I don't think they can both pirate at the same time, it is one or the other. In other words, you can't use Drakes piracy bonus, while bringing along Hawkins to carry the loot and take the hits. Given that, does England even risk Drake against 3 die rolls if he cannot soak off hits with someone else?
2. How are you destroying a fortress? That isn't listed in the results.
3. You had 3 hits...assuming you add the "extra" die as a fortress roll instead of adding it at the end of the die roll list. How are you getting 4 results?
4. I have a fortress (2 in fact) which means I can protect that last treasure from being selected.

Now, question.

There are 4 possible results. One of which is not applicable (Portugueses treasure). The other results have to each be selected before you can take a second result. Does he have to take a "take treasure" result, even if he cannot get a treasure, before he can select the VP result again?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on June 18, 2012, 09:50:38 AM
1. I don't think they can both pirate at the same time, it is one or the other. In other words, you can't use Drakes piracy bonus, while bringing along Hawkins to carry the loot and take the hits. Given that, does England even risk Drake against 3 die rolls if he cannot soak off hits with someone else?
2. How are you destroying a fortress? That isn't listed in the results.
3. You had 3 hits...assuming you add the "extra" die as a fortress roll instead of adding it at the end of the die roll list. How are you getting 4 results?
4. I have a fortress (2 in fact) which means I can protect that last treasure from being selected.

Here's the text of the Drake/Hawkins Expedition card:

Quote3 / Drake/Hawkins Expedition
If both Hawkins and Drake are alive and off-map, England immediately places an expedition led by both these captains. Use Drake's ratings and bonus. Expedition may destroy a fortress in their ocean zone with each piracy roll of "6", in addition to the normal benefit of a piracy hit. Each sea captain may be damaged once before either must be eliminated. Remove from deck if played as event.

So:

1. They do pirate together, using Drake's ratings and bonus, as per the card.
2. Look at the card - each 6 destroys a fortress in addition to the other benefits.
3. Look at the card - each 6 destroys a fortress in addition to the other benefits.
4. Now you have 1 fortress, but I didn't think you could protect your last treasure from selection that way? If you can, I'm fine with another VP instead.

Berkut

OK, ignore all that, I missed that garbon screwed me and sent out that expedition earlier.

You are a most excellent ally garbon, and I won't forget it.

0 rows returned

Berkut

The treasure issue is still ourstanding though - you cannot take the treasure if there is a fortress.

0 rows returned

ulmont

And yeah, taking another VP instead of a treasure.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 18, 2012, 09:56:50 AM
OK, ignore all that, I missed that garbon screwed me and sent out that expedition earlier.

You are a most excellent ally garbon, and I won't forget it.

I wanted to ensure that I was protected from the Union of Arras, especially given that its twin is floating about this turn.

Besides, great ally?

1) We weren't allied - I kept up my end of the bargain.
2) You left me to fend for myself in France after one battle.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2012, 11:49:20 AM
Slowest. Turn. Ever.

It did hit a holiday weekend here in America. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Seriously I am not even sure where we are at? Who is up, Drakken? Who else is planning of not passing out the turn?

Habbaku

I realize you get stuck in corners if someone isn't there to tell you to turn, Tamas, but my post containing the St. Bart's play is pretty clear about who's up.  So is the e-mail that went out.  So is the sequence of play (I'm France, who was the last to play)...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Habbaku

God forbid you try to find out yourself before whining for someone to tell you.  ;)

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on June 18, 2012, 01:41:48 PM
God forbid you try to find out yourself before whining for someone to tell you.  ;)

:D

garbon

Also, perhaps the turn seems so long to him as his excellent play has led him to being able to only take a few impulses each turn.