When will pot become a mainstream political issue?

Started by DGuller, May 08, 2012, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

As I posted in the Canadian Politics thread a while back, I think we are close to a political party making this an official plank in their election platform.  We have a number of former Mayors, former judges and other "elites" coming forward in favour of changing the laws.  It is no longer viewed as a crazy idea.  Rather I get the impression that the status quo is becoming viewed as the irrational approach.

MadImmortalMan

Once, we changed out constitution to ban alcohol. Then we changed it back. This will have its time as well.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 08, 2012, 06:02:44 PM
Once, we changed out constitution to ban alcohol. Then we changed it back. This will have its time as well.

Yeah, and a DWI-related death every 50 minutes in this country is really working out.

Admiral Yi

It will become a national political issue only after a majority of states have decriminalized.

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 06:05:32 PM

Yeah, and a DWI-related death every 50 minutes in this country is really working out.
It's not fast enough to stop the population growth rate in Pearl River County, Mississippi, so I have no sympathy for you.

You gotta die of something.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on May 08, 2012, 06:15:22 PM

It's not fast enough to stop the population growth rate in Pearl River County, Mississippi, so I have no sympathy for you.

Well, unlike abortion and the death penalty, DWI crashes don't get traffic moving.

Razgovory

Every year the potheads up in Columbia try to get a ballot initiative for pot legalization.  Every year it fails.  Not that it would do any good.  The Legislature here has a bad habit of overturning ballot referendums.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

I'm broadly in favour of legalisation, but in retaliation I reserve the right to spent as little time as possible with heavy potheads/ people who still haven't grown up and still think dope is intrinsically 'cool'. :yawn:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Meh. Freedom = Danger

We made our choice, now we're living with it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

I'm with mongers on this one. My fear is that legalising pot will lead to some of the most boring people on the planet infesting public places such as parks or beer gardens, hopefully their reduced traffic awareness will lead to them being culled by drunk drivers, somehow the cosmic balance must be preserved.

sbr

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 08, 2012, 06:50:11 PM
I'm with mongers on this one. My fear is that legalising pot will lead to some of the most boring people on the planet infesting public places such as parks or beer gardens, hopefully their reduced traffic awareness will lead to them being culled by drunk drivers, somehow the cosmic balance must be preserved.

That works.  :D  And since there will be thousands less people in prisons (at least here in the States) we can put those drunk drivers who kill pot smokers away for life.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 08, 2012, 06:50:11 PM

Indeed. 

I've one friend, an older guy, refugee from the 60s, who regularly smokes dope and it is absolutely no big deal, you wouldn't know if he was or wasn't did and he invests no theatre in going about it.

Whereas I was with some people around my age and a bit younger, the other week and they made a huge production, of hey look at us, were cool, were going to skinny up, all sort of giggly child like. 
I could understand this in 16-21 year olds where it's a safe rebellion, but these were people in their 30s and 40s.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: Scipio on May 08, 2012, 06:15:22 PM

Hell, just allowing use of cars at all has our society trading convenience for thousands upon thousands of fiery, mangled deaths...even without alcohol involved.  We have accepted that bargain with the automobile, as we have with the bottle.

Though I agree with CdM on the general worthlessness of alcohol, I also recognize the folly in trying to ban it outright.

crazy canuck

I used to like CdM, until he made noises about trying to deprive me of wine.

Ed Anger

I'd like to have all drunk drivers flogged, then raped by the general population at Angola prison.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive