China Says Ready for 'Escalation' in Maritime Dispute With Philippines.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 09, 2012, 07:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

China's maritime claims are ludicrous.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/China-Says-Ready-for-Escalation-in-Maritime-Dispute-With-Philippines-150558125.html

QuoteChina Says Ready for 'Escalation' in Maritime Dispute With Philippines.

China says it is ready to respond to "any escalation" by the Philippines, as a tense, month-long standoff continues over a disputed group of islands in the South China Sea.

The state-run Xinhua news agency on Tuesday quoted Vice Foreign Minister Fu Ying as saying Beijing is not optimistic about the dispute over the Scarborough Shoal, located about 230 kilometers off the northwestern Philippines.

On Monday, Fu summoned a top Philippine diplomat in Beijing to make a "serious representation" over the situation. Fu told Charge D'affaires Alex Chua that Manila was escalating tensions and making it more difficult to reach a negotiated settlement.

The standoff began on April 10 when Chinese surveillance ships prevented a Philippine warship from arresting Chinese fishermen near the rocky islands, which both sides claim as sovereign territory.

China has already rejected a request by the Philippines to refer the issue to an international court.

China says the islands, known as Huangyan in China, are a key part of Chinese territory and that any Philippine claim to them is baseless. The Philippines says the shoal is well within its internationally recognized exclusive economic zone.

The Philippines, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei all have competing claims in the South China Sea.  China claims nearly the entire energy-rich region.

Meanwhile, Beijing's first deep-water oil drill in the South China Sea will be put into service on Wednesday. China National Offshore Oil Corp says the oil rig will be located 320 kilometers southeast of Hong Kong at a water depth of 1,500 meters. The rig does not appear to be located in a disputed area.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

QuoteThe Philippines, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei all have competing claims in the South China Sea.  China claims nearly the entire energy-rich region.

Meanwhile, Beijing's first deep-water oil drill in the South China Sea will be put into service on Wednesday. China National Offshore Oil Corp says the oil rig will be located 320 kilometers southeast of Hong Kong at a water depth of 1,500 meters. The rig does not appear to be located in a disputed area. 

Heh, at least they'll put them to use, drill for something.  ;)

Razgovory

Why does China keep doing silly shit like this?  All it does it align the powers of East Asia against China.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

China's claims in the area are simply retarded.
The other countries involve should sort out their minor claims asap so they can unite in helping the world facepalm at China.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PRC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 09, 2012, 07:08:49 PM
China's maritime claims are ludicrous.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/China-Says-Ready-for-Escalation-in-Maritime-Dispute-With-Philippines-150558125.html

QuoteChina Says Ready for 'Escalation' in Maritime Dispute With Philippines.

China says it is ready to respond to "any escalation" by the Philippines, as a tense, month-long standoff continues over a disputed group of islands in the South China Sea.

The state-run Xinhua news agency on Tuesday quoted Vice Foreign Minister Fu Ying as saying Beijing is not optimistic about the dispute over the Scarborough Shoal, located about 230 kilometers off the northwestern Philippines.

On Monday, Fu summoned a top Philippine diplomat in Beijing to make a "serious representation" over the situation. Fu told Charge D'affaires Alex Chua that Manila was escalating tensions and making it more difficult to reach a negotiated settlement.

The standoff began on April 10 when Chinese surveillance ships prevented a Philippine warship from arresting Chinese fishermen near the rocky islands, which both sides claim as sovereign territory.

China has already rejected a request by the Philippines to refer the issue to an international court.

China says the islands, known as Huangyan in China, are a key part of Chinese territory and that any Philippine claim to them is baseless. The Philippines says the shoal is well within its internationally recognized exclusive economic zone.

The Philippines, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei all have competing claims in the South China Sea.  China claims nearly the entire energy-rich region.

It they can enforce those claims they probably aren't ludicrous.

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tamas

Camerus

QuoteWhy does China keep doing silly shit like this?  All it does it align the powers of East Asia against China.

It's because, from the standpoint of maintaining power, domestic opinion is far more important than international relations.  So the Party can rile up certain segments of their population into a nationalist frenzy over international disputes as a means to rally support.  And don't forget that the education system attempts to spoon-feed nationalism and a victim mentality from a young age as part of the "nationalism to build Party support" approach.  From an outsiders' perspective, that's what leads to otherwise incomprehensible actions.

Crazy_Ivan80

that is so gonna blow up in China's face at some point... and we'll be in the way when the chunks start landing  <_<