Israeli President travels with Air Canada instead of El Al

Started by viper37, May 07, 2012, 09:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2012, 09:12:24 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2012, 04:58:22 PM
There isn't a "Jewish" airline company from Israel, any more than British Airways is a "Christian" airline company, right?
El Al in principle offers only kosher in-flight meals and does not fly passengers on the Jewish Sabbath or religious holidays
[...]
The acquisition was funded by the government of Israel, the Jewish Agency, and other Jewish organizations.

It's run by Jewish people who happens to be Israeli.  It adheres to Jewish religious standards.  It was founded by Jewish organizations.  British Airways does fly passengers on Cristmas, on Sundays and other religious holydays.  It was not founded by Christian organizations.  Hence, it's not a Christian airline company.

And it happens there's a common stereotype about Jews and money.  You tell me you never heard of it, I won't believe you ;)
This particular stereotype is why the headline made me smile :)

It doesn't make the airline "Jewish" any more than the fact that British Airways is the national carrier for a country whose monarch is the head of the Church of England makes it "Christian".

The joke is not particularly funny, because the Israeli stereotype is different from the non-Israeli Jewish stereotype (except among the ignorant). Israelis are known as abrasive militaristic nutters, not as grasping and acquisitive. Think Siegy as an extreme example.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zoupa

I've flown El Al once. Their stewardess were to die for. Food was barely edible though.

That was your Yi moment of the day. Carry on :p

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2012, 08:58:44 AM
It doesn't make the airline "Jewish" any more than the fact that British Airways is the national carrier for a country whose monarch is the head of the Church of England makes it "Christian".
as I said, British Airways still carries passengers on Sundays.

The joke is not particularly funny, because the Israeli stereotype is different from the non-Israeli Jewish stereotype (except among the ignorant).
The joke seemed funny to a few.

Israelis are known as abrasive militaristic nutters, not as grasping and acquisitive. Think Siegy as an extreme example.  :P
Siegy is the perfect example of the Israeli colonist willing to fight their own people if they feel they have to.  I'm surprised he hasn't joined some militia group in the Southern US.

Not all Israelis are colonists though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 08, 2012, 01:27:14 PM
The joke seemed funny to a few.

Yeah, those unable to tell the difference between Israelis and Jews.  ;)

QuoteSiegy is the perfect example of the Israeli colonist willing to fight their own people if they feel they have to.  I'm surprised he hasn't joined some militia group in the Southern US.

Not all Israelis are colonists though.

No, but the stereotype of the "Israeli" is that they are insanely combative and abrasive (and probably know how to kill from army service). Basically, that they are all hard-asses, and often jerks about it.

From TV Tropes:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassIsraeli

QuoteSchillinger: "I thought Jews were supposed to be tough."
Robson: "Nah, that's just the Israelis."
— Oz

"They're not the 'Oh, let me help you with your taxes' Jews. They're the 'Can you hold my machine gun while I take a leak' Jews. It's a different culture."
—Jon Stewart 

This is in sharp contrast to the stereotype of the "Jew" who is more an intellectual, 90 pound weakling nebbish at best, and a penny-pinching bag of greed at worst.  :P

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllJewsAreCheapskates
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2012, 01:39:08 PM
Yeah, those unable to tell the difference between Israelis and Jews.  ;)
A majority of Israelis are Jews, and Israel doesn't really hide that fact it's the State for all Jewish people.

No, but the stereotype of the "Israeli" is that they are insanely combative and abrasive (and probably know how to kill from army service). Basically, that they are all hard-asses, and often jerks about it.
Never heard that.  Heard that one should think twice before attacking Israel, but that doesn't reflect on the civil society.

This is in sharp contrast to the stereotype of the "Jew" who is more an intellectual, 90 pound weakling nebbish at best, and a penny-pinching bag of greed at worst.  :P

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllJewsAreCheapskates

hmm:
(especially since Jews Love to Argue)

There is no doubt possible, you are Jewish!  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.