News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can I be Ottoman Empire?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 08, 2012, 04:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Wow, that's just sad.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/05/the-funniest-graph-ive-ever-seen-about-why-the-euro-is-totally-doomed/256793/

QuoteThe Funniest Graph I've Ever Seen About Why the Euro Is Totally Doomed
By Derek Thompson

May 7 2012, 9:17 AM ET 25

If you spun a globe and stopped your finger 12 times on 12 random countries, they just might make more sense for a monetary union than the euro zone.

That's the conclusion from this awesomely clever chart showing the difficulty, and maybe impossibility, of the euro experiment (click to expand).

Here is what this chart shows. Compared across more than 100 factors measured by the World Economic Forum Global Competitiveness Report, from corruption to deficits, JP Morgan analyst Michael Cembalest calculates that the major countries on the euro are more different from each other than basically every random grab bag of nations there is, including: the make-believe reconstituted Ottoman Empire; all the English speaking Eastern and Southern African countries; and all countries on Earth at the 5th parallel north.

And here is your tweetable fact: A monetary union might make more sense for every nation starting with the letter "M" than it does for the euro zone.

If you find yourself wondering, as I did, how the 50 states within the U.S. would compare across this measure of dispersion, remember that the nice thing about the United States is that baked into the first word of our name is not only a monetary union (i.e.: we all use dollars) but also a fiscal union. If Mississippi has a bad year (or decade, or century), Washington doesn't debate whether we should force the state to raise taxes or cut spending to become more competitive. We just keep paying it Medicaid, which is basically a transfer from rich Americans to poor Americans, many of whom live in Mississippi.

Germany doesn't want to establish any sort of "Peripheraid" -- a permanent transfer program from the core to the periphery. And that's why you should be about as optimistic about the future of the current euro zone as you are about a monetary union for the all the countries in the world that start with the letter "M."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

You're just ripping off everyone else today, aren't you? :angry:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Quote from: Jaron on May 08, 2012, 04:18:32 AM

you should be on gmail chat, I am bored

Jaron

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 04:34:00 AM

Then I do get on gmail chat and you ignore me. :rolleyes:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Quote from: Jaron on May 08, 2012, 04:38:44 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 04:34:00 AM

Then I do get on gmail chat and you ignore me. :rolleyes:

no

11B4V

What's this got to do with the Ottomans??
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Viking

Quote from: 11B4V on May 08, 2012, 04:58:00 AM
What's this got to do with the Ottomans??

The ottoman empire is more economically cohesive than the EU, basically bulgaria is closer, economically, to egypt than it is to the netherlands.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Ah, I thought Tim was going loopy there.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

they say its based on 100 factors...i wonder what these factors are. I suspect some may be utter bollocks.

Though some states in Europe were of course mistakes.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2012, 05:25:13 AM
they say its based on 100 factors...i wonder what these factors are. I suspect some may be utter bollocks.

Yes, like Rhode Island, some states in Europe were and are still mistakes.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2012, 05:25:13 AM

Yeah, Belgium has been a mistake of a state.

barkdreg

Tamas