News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Blond Solomon Islanders

Started by jimmy olsen, May 07, 2012, 08:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Cool

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/07/11581598-genetic-mutation-may-explain-mysterious-blond-solomon-islanders?lite
QuoteBy Meghan Holohan

When Sean Myles worked as post-doctoral student in Carlos Bustamante's lab, he showed Bustamante a photo of a Melanesian child with cocoa-colored skin and bright blond hair, wearing a U.S. military jacket.

Like others, Bustamante,a professor of genetics at Stanford University, initially believed the Melanesians' blond hair came from Europeans who visited the islands and paired with islanders. But Myles, now an assistant professor at the Nova Scotia Agricultural College, insisted it was something different. When Myles had visited the Solomon Islands for another research project, he estimated that 5 to 10 percent of the children possessed light locks. So Bustamante and Myles designed an experiment to understand the origin of the blond Solomon Islanders. 

"I think there was some debate that the scientific community was sort of hypothesizing about," says Eimear Kenny, a co-author and post-doctoral scholar in Bustamante's lab at Stanford.

Bustamante, Myles, and their colleagues discovered the Melanesians' blond hair comes from a gene mutation specific only to them. The variant is recessive, meaning that both a mother and father must carry the gene for a child to inherit flaxen hair.   

"It is interesting to have one gene that is associated with pigmentation in a tropical population with blond hair," says Rasmus Nielsen, professor of integrative biology at the University of California, Berkley, who is not part of this study. "There are lots of different mutations that impact skin and hair color and in this case there is one mutation that impacts it, which is quite unusual."

In 2009, Myles collected 1,000 samples by traveling from village to village on the Solomon Islands, working with local chiefs for permission. The researchers first tested 100 samples to look for genetic mutations and were shocked to find one gene contributed to the blond hair—and this gene differed from what caused blondness in Northern Europeans and their descendants.

The test of the remaining 1,000 samples yielded the same results. The researchers noticed a signal on chromosome 9 and when they dug deeper, they discovered that TYRP1, known for influencing pigmentation in mice and humans, caused the blond hair.

"Pretty much everything about these results was surprising. This is really not what we were expecting," says Kenny. "We did not expect to find a single gene."

Generally, a number of genes contribute to skin or hair color, for example. There could be anywhere from 10 to hundreds of genes impacting whether a person is blond. 

While this discovery might appear to answer a simple question, the results have larger implications. Most genetic studies look at North Americans or Europeans and researchers translate the results to represent all people.

"[This impacts] how we think about the design of medical genetic studies and the importance of broadening representations in medical studies," Bustamante says.

And Nielson believes that researchers will gain a better understanding of the human genome by rethinking experiments. 

"You can look at small isolated populations and find very interesting genetic variants," Nielson says.

The study was published Friday in Science.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Sounds like the same phenomenon that creates the "white" (Kermode) black bears in British Columbia.

They certainly weren't impregnated by Europeans.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Well, we are talking about Pacific Islanders

Jaron

Dennis Rodman made his rounds.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 07, 2012, 11:00:32 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 07, 2012, 10:52:50 PM
I THINK IT'S SPELLED BLONDE
Blond = boy
Blonde = girl
Isn't that an American thing? (well, French really...)
I always just use blonde.
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

Americans are fiercely proud of their French lineage.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jaron on May 08, 2012, 03:38:43 AM
Americans are fiercely proud that we used the French to kick off the British.

Fixed