News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish's church attendence

Started by Lettow77, May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you attend some religious service?

Weekly
4 (5.4%)
At least once a month
5 (6.8%)
For special occasions, i.e Easter
13 (17.6%)
No church attendance
48 (64.9%)
Jaron will be sustained by the Quorum of Twelve
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Caliga

They do that shit at one of the Catholic churches here, and it's actually very popular.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2012, 06:34:21 AM
They do that shit at one of the Catholic churches here, and it's actually very popular.

I think it's a little different than it was back in the '70s;  I doubt they're wearing headbands, leather vests with fringes, and generally looking like Pacino straight out of Serpico these days.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2012, 10:16:25 PM
Quote from: Jaron on May 06, 2012, 08:52:08 PM
I agree with Cal; They like drinks that remind them of Kool Aid - strawberry, orange, grape. The more militant ones may drink chocolate milk to spite white people and their dairy industry.

We'll need to hear from CdM; I fear Cal and I lack the experience on negro culture to speak with the authority that he can.

While it is not uncommon to see the average Dazzling Urbanite with a Sprite out in the wild as far as carbonated beverages go--occasionally, a dominant male will be seen with a Mountain Dew--in their native habitat they are much more accustomed to the flavored juice drinks like Grape and Orange, as it provides a direct, tactile connection from when their mothers would nurse them with Kool-Aid, prior to their tails falling off.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM
I was just curious. A part of being closer to my roommate and living with his family is church on sundays, and it is nostalgic for me. I approve of faith, but regret I can't in good conscience adhere to it myself. Even so, there is much to recommend for the experience, and it occurred to me this is likely a rather irreligious segment of the population.

only if there's a funeral for someone close.  Or a marriage, but thank 'od, that doesn't happen much anymore.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 06:50:54 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2012, 06:34:21 AM

I think it's a little different than it was back in the '70s;  I doubt they're wearing headbands, leather vests with fringes, and generally looking like Pacino straight out of Serpico these days.
I hope not.  Except on Halloween.
PDH!

PRC

Only go as a tourist... to admire the architecture and the art that might be on display.

Darth Wagtaros

They changed around the service in the Catholic Church last fall. I hate it.
PDH!

Martinus

Quote from: PRC on May 07, 2012, 10:25:57 AM
Only go as a tourist... to admire the architecture and the art that might be on display.

I do that too, but I wouldn't count that as church attendance (especially as most places prohibit sight-seeing during the mass).

Iormlund

I can't even think of anyone who goes to church other than for weddings, funerals and such.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on May 07, 2012, 10:40:44 AM
Quote from: PRC on May 07, 2012, 10:25:57 AM

I do that too, but I wouldn't count that as church attendance (especially as most places prohibit sight-seeing during the mass).
You should checkc out some Mosques. A  lot of them have beautiful architecture.  Especially the Shi-ite ones I've seen.
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

The first time I went to a catholic mass I was maybe seven years old. It was absolutely shocking to me, as I'd only been in regular congregational protty church before. (Although my mom did go to a black church for five years before I was born.) The experience actually frightened me--all the stuff and the robes and omg they aren't speaking English.  :lol:

I think it was a catechism or something. I refused to let the guy put anything in my mouth. I can eat Jesus all by myself thanks.  :P

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 07, 2012, 11:33:30 AM
I refused to let the guy put anything in my mouth.
In hindsight, that was a very good move.

Iormlund

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2012, 07:26:08 PM
I've managed to go a few times the past few years, just checking out different Catholic churches around the area, from the little late '60s architectural nightmare where I was baptized to the imperiously papal Cathedral of Mary Our Queen.  I just find Mass incredibly interesting, and I'm more focused on watching and reading the symbolism of it all than out of devotion. It's just a fascinating event.
I do that fairly often.  The full Tridentine at the Brompton Oratory is pretty stunning:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brompton_Oratory

But most Sundays I just go to one of a few Anglican Churches.  Many use the Book of Common Prayer (:wub:) and have extraordinary music.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2012, 12:07:18 PM
But most Sundays I just go to one of a few Anglican Churches.  Many use the Book of Common Prayer (:wub:) and have extraordinary music.

One of the most hilarious bits of internal church political squabling in the US is the Angli...er...Episcopal congregations bickering over the Prayer Book.  Practically every version of the thing has a cult around it.  I think the most recent one is from the 80s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."