News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish's church attendence

Started by Lettow77, May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you attend some religious service?

Weekly
4 (5.4%)
At least once a month
5 (6.8%)
For special occasions, i.e Easter
13 (17.6%)
No church attendance
48 (64.9%)
Jaron will be sustained by the Quorum of Twelve
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2012, 09:45:22 AM
The notion that God controlled everything means that God is responsible for that as well.  The notion of free will is rather odd in the Christian doctrine since God can and does, Christians believe, intervene or as BB would have it moves in ways we cannot comprehend.  Which is really code for WTF was God doing?

This is pretty hardcore predestination stuff.  And while certainly present in Calvinists I am not sure it is a universal Christian doctrine.  The Bible makes it pretty clear humans do horrible things and that God feels no particular feeling that he is responsible for what they did.  Heck even when he wants humans to do horrible things they still fuck it up.  So it seems odd to point out that 'OMG humans do horrible things, that proves there is no God' given the backstory here.

No I do not see any specific evidence that would suggest Christianity, or Judaism, claims God is responsible for human action.  I mean besides creating humans in the first place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2012, 10:47:06 AM
No I do not see any specific evidence that would suggest Christianity, or Judaism, claims God is responsible for human action.  I mean besides creating humans in the first place.

Well isn't there something to be said for those who know something is happening and yet took no steps to prevent it / curtail it? I thought that was part of the reason that so much guilt/shame got heaped on Germany.  Seems like it'd be very true then for an all-powerful, all-knowing deity.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2012, 10:47:06 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2012, 09:45:22 AM
The notion that God controlled everything means that God is responsible for that as well.  The notion of free will is rather odd in the Christian doctrine since God can and does, Christians believe, intervene or as BB would have it moves in ways we cannot comprehend.  Which is really code for WTF was God doing?

This is pretty hardcore predestination stuff.  And while certainly present in Calvinists I am not sure it is a universal Christian doctrine.  The Bible makes it pretty clear humans do horrible things and that God feels no particular feeling that he is responsible for what they did.  Heck even when he wants humans to do horrible things they still fuck it up.  So it seems odd to point out that 'OMG humans do horrible things, that proves there is no God' given the backstory here.

You really cant have it both ways.  Either God intervenes or he doesnt.  If he intervenes he has done a piss poor job of it.

One does not need to ascribe to the calvanist preordination to believe that God intervenes. Take BB for example...

Admiral Yi

Predestination joke:

A 90 year old Presbyterian woman walks down the stairs to her basement to grab some homemade preserves.  She trips and falls, and suffers an agonizing broken hip.  As she's being carried to the ambulance she says, "I sure am glad I got that over with."

:punk: