And we're back!

Main Menu

Bismark: The Final Countdown

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2012, 12:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2012, 07:04:37 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 05, 2012, 06:20:47 PM
That'd be the same problem with the Nimitz...sure the F-14s could splash Zero's at will, but when they run out of missiles and ammo, they're just glorified recon planes.

Though it would probably be quite simple for 1941 U.S.A. to replicate the cannon ammo on the F-14s, the missiles would take a bit more work.

That, and the disparity with this analogy....the U.S.A. won anyway, Nimitz or no.   :P

The Nimitz air group would run out of jet fuel before running out of 20mm (that's what the phalaxes used as well, and the carrier had an essentially infinite supply).

The Bismarck, though, has a finite number of 15" shells - around 200 salvos' worth.  Once that's gone, she is done.
The Germany of 1916 is unable to copy and recreate her shells? What is so special about them?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 05, 2012, 07:15:41 PM
The Germany of 1916 is unable to copy and recreate her shells? What is so special about them?

The Battle of Jutland would be looooong over by the time the Germany of 1916 reverse-engineered some shells for the Bismarck!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2012, 07:17:51 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 05, 2012, 07:15:41 PM

The Battle of Jutland would be looooong over by the time the Germany of 1916 reverse-engineered some shells for the Bismarck!  :lol:
Well, yes that's true. But surely the Bismark would return to Germany with the rest of the fleet before running out of ammunition.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Why the fuck is this, or any other, what if, important?  The answer is simple - it isn't.  Tim is a retard.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PDH on May 05, 2012, 07:53:12 PM
Why the fuck is this, or any other, what if, important? 
Why does it have to be important? It's fun to talk about, that's all that matters. Most things that are fun are not that important.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

The Nazi crew of the Bismark sink the boat rather than go back to the crypto Jew-loving aristos in charge of Great War Germany.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 05, 2012, 08:20:40 PM
The Nazi crew of the Bismark sink the boat rather than go back to the crypto Jew-loving aristos in charge of Great War Germany.
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the navy was the least indoctrinated of the services.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 05, 2012, 08:29:26 PM
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the navy was the least indoctrinated of the services.

Yeah, Lütjens seemed like the type who'd be happy to ensure Imperial Germany stuck it out, rather than descend into Nazism.

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 05, 2012, 09:49:07 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 05, 2012, 08:29:26 PM

Yeah, Lütjens seemed like the type who'd be happy to ensure Imperial Germany stuck it out, rather than descend into Nazism.

I can't help but think that a man in the super weapon of the future showing up with a history book telling you that this WWI thing is a really really bad idea and everybody in power benefits from not actually fighting this out since it will only result in commies and nazis.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

Another thing about the Final Countdown, is the film never went as far as to find out what the WWII-era peeps would think about a future-weapon showing up in their time.  What would the German fleet's response be to a big, unknown battleship with a swastika on it?

Sure, they might communicate in German on the radio (if that would work), but would you believe they're from the future, or blow it up in case it's some British trick?

DGuller

What if Imperial Germany had hundreds of ICBMs in 1914?  Would WWI turn out differently?

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2012, 09:58:36 PM
What if Imperial Germany had hundreds of ICBMs in 1914?  Would WWI turn out differently?

that depends, do they have rocket fuel, wmd warheads and proper guidance systems?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 05, 2012, 09:57:28 PM
Another thing about the Final Countdown, is the film never went as far as to find out what the WWII-era peeps would think about a future-weapon showing up in their time.  What would the German fleet's response be to a big, unknown battleship with a swastika on it?

Sure, they might communicate in German on the radio (if that would work), but would you believe they're from the future, or blow it up in case it's some British trick?

That's why I feel afraid to even speculate on this.  Did the German Navy of 1916 have radios?  Would Bismarck even be able to communicate?

I'm not a naval warfare geek like some here.  But I would think that the Nimitz in 1941, with radar and suveillance flights, would be a far, far bigher "game changer" than the Bismarck would have been.  Not because of firepwoer, but because of battlefield intelligence.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2012, 10:22:59 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 05, 2012, 09:57:28 PM

That's why I feel afraid to even speculate on this.  Did the German Navy of 1916 have radios?  Would Bismarck even be able to communicate?

I'm not a naval warfare geek like some here.  But I would think that the Nimitz in 1941, with radar and suveillance flights, would be a far, far bigher "game changer" than the Bismarck would have been.  Not because of firepwoer, but because of battlefield intelligence.
They did have radio.

The Bismark had radar and spotter planes.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2012, 09:58:36 PM

Given the lack of solid-state electronics or radar sensors in 1914, they wouldn't be able to do much with ICBMs. :contract:
Experience bij!