Russia threatens Nato with military strikes over missile defence system

Started by jimmy olsen, May 03, 2012, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 03, 2012, 07:11:09 PM
The article is a little bit misleading...

I looked at what the guy actually said (in Russian), and it seems to me that he -not- saying "if you put in the missile defense system, we will preemptively strike it", but actually saying "if you put in the missile defense system, and if there is a crisis situation, we'll have plans to preemptively destroy it in order to preserve our nuclear deterrent".

Now, whether the missile defense system is a realistic threat to their deterrent(laughable, but Russian paranoia is kinda understandable), is another issue.

Ah.  That's makes more sense.  Just typical Russian bluster then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Heh, cynical, paranoid Russians! They are that way, thinking it's how they have to be, but that breeds more hostility and mistrust by others. No wonder they feel their alliances are only temporary. They make it that way by their own actions and lack of lasting, meaningful relations.

Jacob

Quote from: KRonn on May 03, 2012, 07:19:48 PM
Heh, cynical, paranoid Russians! They are that way, thinking it's how they have to be, but that breeds more hostility and mistrust by others. No wonder they feel their alliances are only temporary. They make it that way by their own actions and lack of lasting, meaningful relations.

How is that paranoid? Just seems like the responsible thing to do if you're a Russian military planner.

If the Russians deployed some sort of missile defence system that could cover, say, Syria, Iran, the Caucasus and so on, don't you think the US would develop plans to take that system out as well?

KRonn

They're paranoid in general. Everyone is still out to get them. The Cold War is way over, and they haven't moved on. They have no need to be worried over the defense shield. Heck, if they acted more friendly they could probably be given some of that tech, as  I think a couple of US Presidents talked about doing.

Tonitrus

Just for fun...

From the article:

QuoteGeneral Nikolai Makarov, Russia's most senior military commander, warned Nato that if it proceeded with a controversial American missile defence system, force would be used against it.
"A decision to use destructive force pre-emptively will be taken if the situation worsens," he said.

...this seems to imply that the "situation" us just the simple establishment of an anti-missile system in Europe.

And his quote from the original news article (RIA-Novosti) cited by the Telegraph...

Quote"дестабилизирующего характера системы ПРО, подчеркнул Макаров, а именно - создание иллюзии нанесения безнаказанного разоружающего удара - принятие решения об упреждающем применении имеющихся средств поражения будет приниматься в период обострения обстановки"

"The destabilizing character of the anti-missile system," underlined Makarov "and namely, the creation of the illusion of carrying out an unanswered, disarming strike - the decision regarding the preemptive use of available weapons will be taken during an exacerbated (I'd probably use translator's license and say "a crisis") situation"

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 03, 2012, 07:15:40 PM
I meant "laughable" in that I don't think even the grandest missile defense scheme we have envisioned to deploy in Europe has a snowball's chance in hell of stopping even a significant amount of Russia's ICBMs.

I understand that codicil, but would point out that military planning has to be based on the enemy's capabilities, not their perceived intentions.  The Russians would have to be concerned with any diminution of their nuclear capabilities, even if common sense said that it was not "significant."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Thanks Tonitrus.  That really clears it up.  So is Tim's article just dishonest?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 03, 2012, 07:47:58 PM
Thanks Tonitrus.  That really clears it up.  So is Tim's article just dishonest?

I would say, to use your words....typical Daily Telegraph bluster.  :P

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 03, 2012, 07:15:40 PM
I meant "laughable" in that I don't think even the grandest missile defense scheme we have envisioned to deploy in Europe has a snowball's chance in hell of stopping even a significant amount of Russia's ICBMs.
Indeed.  The idea that Russia could succesfully launch an ICBM is ridiculous.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

I love that we have... somebody who does what Toni does on this board and thus follows Russian news professionally.   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

Russia missiling the shit out of Poland and Romania would be a good thing.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 06:48:59 PM
Quotehas raised concerns that it could herald a hardening of attitudes, or even a new Cold War,

By all means, let's bankrupt them again even more.

It's our turn to be communists. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2012, 07:24:55 PM
Quote from: KRonn on May 03, 2012, 07:19:48 PM

How is that paranoid? Just seems like the responsible thing to do if you're a Russian military planner.

If the Russians deployed some sort of missile defence system that could cover, say, Syria, Iran, the Caucasus and so on, don't you think the US would develop plans to take that system out as well?

Take the Chink-loving, pony-tail-wearing, commie hippie motherfucker to defend Russkies on this.

You are one of the people here who disgust me the most.