News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Inequality

Started by The Minsky Moment, May 03, 2012, 12:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2012, 02:22:50 PMWe are reaching a paradoxical society where the rich elite is actually working for the poor masses - and the redistribution is the only thing keeping them from raising in a revolt.

Whereas you are revolting already.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2012, 02:24:06 PM
And we were doing so well.

Now can we have naked ladies?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2012, 02:28:06 PM

Later.

But for now - to go off topic a bit.  Why do you think the trade union movement declined?

DGuller

Damn it, I have to study now.  :mad: :( This discussion is way more fun, though.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2012, 02:27:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2012, 02:22:50 PMWe are reaching a paradoxical society where the rich elite is actually working for the poor masses - and the redistribution is the only thing keeping them from raising in a revolt.

Whereas you are revolting already.
:lmfao:

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2012, 02:30:44 PM

Later.

But for now - to go off topic a bit.  Why do you think the trade union movement declined?

The Man ™
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Later.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2008/01/10/three-big-reasons-for-the-decline-of-labor-unions/

1.  The hollowing-out of the country's manufacturing base and, with it, a decline in those industry jobs which, historically, had not only been strongly organized but well paid.

2. Government has assumed custody of key union provisions.

3. Changes in demographics and culture.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Well, "automation", being a cause for trends starting int he early 1980's makes sense in Poland not so much in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

PART II

The short answer is: I don't know and neither does anyone else.

The question can't be answered because there is no way to design an replicable experiment to test it.  All one can do is try to identify factors that correlate with the data.  But correlation is not causation - for example, one could probably easily show over the past 30 years in the US a clear inverse correlation between cigarette smoking and inequality of income but it is unlikely this is a causal relationship.

One thing we can do is use the absence of correlation to reject alternative hypotheses.  For example, the automization hypothesis - this may correlate with the post 1982 experience but it falls down when applies to the pre-1982 experience.  It jsut doesn't fits the facts and so it must be rejected.  Similarly, the rise of Chinese competition doesn't work because China did not have significant impact on the world economy until the mid-1990s but this trend dates back over a decade earlier.  The shift from manufacturing to services long predates the early 80s; that doesn't work either.

The best one can do is try to marry some correlative factor to some plausible theory explaining why that factor might logically give rise to the results.  And as it turns out, someone in the thread (not me) has already hit on something that might work.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Later.

I think that public sector unions had something to do with it.  When public sector unions would go on strike, they weren't sticking it to the man.  They were sticking it to us.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on May 03, 2012, 02:44:55 PM
Later.

I think that public sector unions had something to do with it.  When public sector unions would go on strike, they weren't sticking it to the man.  They were sticking it to us.

That does not explain why people stopped joining unions so they could stick it to the man.

I think Josephus is on to a better answer.  But I am wondering about his third point.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 03, 2012, 02:44:32 PM
PART II

You are worse than a lap dancer performing on Malthus in front of all his friends.

Also, thanks very much for the thread.

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 03, 2012, 02:44:32 PM
PART II

The question can't be answered because there is no way to design an replicable experiment to test it.  All one can do is try to identify factors that correlate with the data.  But correlation is not causation - for example, one could probably easily show over the past 30 years in the US a clear inverse correlation between cigarette smoking and inequality of income but it is unlikely this is a causal relationship.

One thing we can do is use the absence of correlation to reject alternative hypotheses.  For example, the automization hypothesis - this may correlate with the post 1982 experience but it falls down when applies to the pre-1982 experience.  It jsut doesn't fits the facts and so it must be rejected.  Similarly, the rise of Chinese competition doesn't work because China did not have significant impact on the world economy until the mid-1990s but this trend dates back over a decade earlier.  The shift from manufacturing to services long predates the early 80s; that doesn't work either.

The best one can do is try to marry some correlative factor to some plausible theory explaining why that factor might logically give rise to the results.  And as it turns out, someone in the thread (not me) has already hit on something that might work.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I want to know what Yi says.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I think trade unions declined in the Western world because they did not quite catch the fact that the nature of the "proletariat" has changed. It's not factory workers and the like anymore - most of them have been fired and those who stayed have a relatively good fare, being usually qualified employees.

The real "exploited masses" are now in service/retail industries and low level white collar jobs. And with the exception of some of the bigger chains, employers of these people usually do not employ enough workers for the workers to form influential trade unions.

Valmy

The increasingly large role of computers in business and society seems to really get rolling around 1982 might that be connected?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."