Social Media and Networking In the Modern Job Market: What Say You?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 03, 2012, 11:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Facebook is for family and friends, though have gotten leads from folks on work there, but don't use it as such.
have linked account which like spicy  and jacob is bare bones but have expanded my network a decent amount.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2012, 01:44:09 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 01:09:20 PMSee, that's precisely one of the reasons why I don't use it;  after all, you don't know who knows who--what if a prospective employer checks out your connections, and comes across one of your old bosses he knows and considers him an asshole?  You're timmaytainted by association.

Nah, that's not going to hurt you.

Sure it is, and that's my objection to this whole thing:  there are people out there in this world that still do business according to who you are (hmm, looks Jewish), the color of your skin (holy shit, he's black!), what you look like (ooh, she's blonde and hot, I'm going to stalk her voicemail), where you went to school (fuck THE Ohio State moron factory), etc.  You don't need to vetted before you're vetted.  There's enough pervasive discrimination in the hiring process as it is, you don't need to deal with it before the actual process begins.

And with some of the information these people are putting out there, particularly like LinkedIn...I don't know;  maybe because I spent so long as a private investigator/bail bondsman who spent quite a bit of time for years pretexting people for information they didn't know they shouldn't be giving, it's just ripe for confidence games and spear phishing.  Hell, it makes it easier--now I know what you look like, I know where you work, I know what you do and what you did 5 years ago.  If you're a mark for some reason, you've made my life just that much easier;  I have a wealth of information to springboard from.  I graduated the year after you, I used to work with so-and-so, I'm in the association with you.

It's just seems to be an unnecessary risk for anything from harassment to identity theft to social engineering to spear phishing, and I've spent the last several years in the mitigating of such risk.  And you're just putting it out there.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 02:57:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 01:09:20 PMSee, that's precisely one of the reasons why I don't use it;  after all, you don't know who knows who--what if a prospective employer checks out your connections, and comes across one of your old bosses he knows and considers him an asshole?  You're timmaytainted by association.

Sure it is, and that's my objection to this whole thing:  there are people out there in this world that still do business according to who you are (hmm, looks Jewish), the color of your skin (holy shit, he's black!), what you look like (ooh, she's blonde and hot, I'm going to stalk her voicemail), where you went to school (fuck THE Ohio State moron factory), etc.  You don't need to vetted before you're vetted.  There's enough pervasive discrimination in the hiring process as it is, you don't need to deal with it before the actual process begins.

And with some of the information these people are putting out there, particularly like LinkedIn...I don't know;  maybe because I spent so long as a private investigator/bail bondsman who spent quite a bit of time for years pretexting people for information they didn't know they shouldn't be giving, it's just ripe for confidence games and spear phishing.  Hell, it makes it easier--now I know what you look like, I know where you work, I know what you do and what you did 5 years ago.  If you're a mark for some reason, you've made my life just that much easier;  I have a wealth of information to springboard from.  I graduated the year after you, I used to work with so-and-so, I'm in the association with you.

It's just seems to be an unnecessary risk for anything from harassment to identity theft to social engineering to spear phishing, and I've spent the last several years in the mitigating of such risk.  And you're just putting it out there.

Isn't that information out there already, though? At least by setting up your LinkedIn profile you have some control over the narrative and can build it the way it makes you look good - it's better than someone building a picture of you from some random tidbits they found on the internet.

derspiess

I've always left my LinkedIn picture blank.  From what I've heard from recruiters, a pic is a distraction at best.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on May 03, 2012, 03:14:46 PM

I've always left my LinkedIn picture blank.  From what I've heard from recruiters, a pic is a distraction at best.

Ouch.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2012, 03:05:06 PM
Isn't that information out there already, though?

Maybe, maybe not--but are you really not going to make me work for it?

When it comes to the randomness aspect, it's sort of like being a car thief;  if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth, I'll just move on to the next one. 

mongers

I'm beginning to get the hang of facebook, the key is to make sure you're blocked/ignore list continues to vastly outstrip your friends total.

Oh and a healthy flow of the later to the former category helps.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

I actually got my current gig thanks to LinkedIn, although not directly. IMO it's a great tool.

The Larch

You're paranoid, I guess because of your line of work. Take a chill pill.

I'd make a quick check if I were you. Think of a few colleagues, bosses, associates, etc. Check if they have profiles and what's in them.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on May 03, 2012, 03:57:29 PM
I'd make a quick check if I were you. Think of a few colleagues, bosses, associates, etc. Check if they have profiles and what's in them.

I've checked.  Not much there at all.  Except for the chest puffers.

CountDeMoney

I can't.  I take a chill pill, AND PEOPLE DIE

The Brain

People who network a lot are douches. Coincidence? Maybe.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

I can't.  I take a chill pill, AND PEOPLE DIE

And they apparently don't work on him, ask his doctors.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son