News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Personal life and work balance question

Started by Martinus, May 03, 2012, 03:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

To what extent should "legitimate" personal reasons be tolerated in professional life?

It should be tolerated and should not affect the person's career prospects (e.g. pay or promotion)
19 (73.1%)
It should be tolerated/accomodated, but should be taken into account for the purpose of pay or promotion
7 (26.9%)
It should not be tolerated, except for statistically insignificant cases - if someone cannot perform like everyone else on a regular basis, he or she should be let go
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

mongers

Quote from: Gups on May 04, 2012, 09:15:43 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2012, 07:59:54 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 07:54:32 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2012, 07:02:11 AM
Marti actually makes a bona fide point, for a change.

I usually make good points here. It's just that I usually make unpopular/un-PC points which makes bleeding heart pony-tail shits to hate it, and you and Neil just pile on it for the fun of yanking my chain.

No, actually you don't.  You're a pissy little bitch, with pissy little bitch points.

That's unfair.

I've met Marty. He is average height from recollection.

To be fair, his incontinence problem was that evident either.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 07:54:32 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2012, 07:02:11 AM
Marti actually makes a bona fide point, for a change.

I usually make good points here. It's just that I usually make unpopular/un-PC points which makes bleeding heart pony-tail shits to hate it, and you and Neil just pile on it for the fun of yanking my chain.

I understand that it how you perceive it...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2012, 02:25:41 AMHowever, in project work it was usually a case of trying to make do with as few resources as possible, because the client would only pay for so many man-hours.
So your argument is that because your employer sold the project for the price of 100 hours and you actually need 200 hours that should be the problem of the employee and not the employer? I have to disagree. If the employer can't make a realistic effort estimate, that shouldn't be the problem of the employees.

As I said, employees expecting flexibility should show it themselves too. Of course an employer can expect that employees work more in peak times and then maybe take time off in slow times. But that should be within reason. It is not reasonable to expect parents to forsake their children just because you just happen to have a peak workload. One of the main things here is to enable the employee to work from home he has a chance to take care of both private and professional priorities.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on May 04, 2012, 10:02:36 AMSo your argument is that because your employer sold the project for the price of 100 hours and you actually need 200 hours that should be the problem of the employee and not the employer? I have to disagree. If the employer can't make a realistic effort estimate, that shouldn't be the problem of the employees.

If the alternative is not getting the project(s)?

I don't say I was happy there, and am rather glad to not be part of that anymore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on May 04, 2012, 10:02:36 AM
So your argument is that because your employer sold the project for the price of 100 hours and you actually need 200 hours that should be the problem of the employee and not the employer? I have to disagree. If the employer can't make a realistic effort estimate, that shouldn't be the problem of the employees.

I don't get the should/shouldn't rhetoric here. What does it mean? If a business model or the nature of the business demands that, who is to say this "shouldn't" be the case?

Different businesses have different dynamics. People are not required to work in conditions they do not like (although usually such unpredictable working hours also translate into higher pay). I just don't see why someone who wants to spend time with his wife and kids should be given priority over me wanting to spend time with my boyfriend.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 10:12:55 AM

I don't get the should/shouldn't rhetoric here. What does it mean? If a business model or the nature of the business demands that, who is to say this "shouldn't" be the case?

Different businesses have different dynamics. People are not required to work in conditions they do not like (although usually such unpredictable working hours also translate into higher pay). I just don't see why someone who wants to spend time with his wife and kids should be given priority over me wanting to spend time with my boyfriend.

It's the kids part, not the wife.  Wives and boyfriends can look after themself if you're not there.  Children can not.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2012, 10:18:53 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 10:12:55 AM

It's the kids part, not the wife.  Wives and boyfriends can look after themself if you're not there.  Children can not.

Having kids is your lifestyle choice. A lot of my colleagues (including the non-single ones) do not have kids. Hire a nanny.

Barrister

I refuse to consider an act that perpetuates the species as a "lifestyle choice".

By the way "hire a nanny" is not a fail-proof solution.  Nannys get sick, get days off, and are not on call 24/7.  We don't have a nany but rather a day home (essentially our kid goes to the nanny's house, rather than the nanny coming to our house) which works fine most of the time - unless she is taking a holiday, or gets sick, or has to go to the doctor.

Valmy

Or is a crazy ass germaphobe who makes me....er....clients go  pick their kids up if they so much as cough.  <_<
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2012, 10:24:17 AM
I refuse to consider an act that perpetuates the species as a "lifestyle choice".

I dunno, man...for someone like Marty, who's not pitching in, it is.  :lol:

Martinus

Hahahah, how did I know it will come down to that! Just an inkling.  :lmfao:

You are not being hired by your employer to "perpetuate the species".

alfred russel

A great woman once wrote a book, "It takes a village" to raise a child. While it may be attractive to want to shut ourselves off from crying babies in airplanes, a possible temper tantrum in a restaurant, or a coworker who needs to leave early to care for a sick child, it is probably counterproductive in the long run for society to not accomodate parents. I believe that children are our future.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 10:28:24 AM

Hahahah, how did I know it will come down to that! Just an inkling.  :lmfao:

You are not being hired by your employer to "perpetuate the species".

As a society as a whole (and which your employer is a part of) we do need to allow and encourage people to have children at a replacement level.

Admiral Yi

This is the one thread that Marty is right in.

If you work for a company that maintains brutal hours and crazy deadlines then you shouldn't get a special dispensation for having children.