News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reaction to Upsetting History?

Started by Queequeg, April 30, 2012, 09:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Remind me, who thought it would be a good idea to hold the Winter games in Sochi?

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2012, 10:42:00 AM
Remind me, who thought it would be a good idea to hold the Winter games in Sochi?

The same brain trust that decided to play the soccer world cup in Quatar in the summer.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Lettow77

Reading about history was extremely affecting to me growing up. Eventually I just began avoiding all history related to the South's failed war as something that made me more worked up than was healthy. I tend to get extremely partisan when reading history, taking a side and celebrating their advances and lamenting their defeats.

The human suffering can be very upsetting, assuming it is possible to identify with the parties involved. It is hard to put a face to say, the Persian sufferers of Mongol brutality, although logically I still find the actions of the Mongols deplorable.

In general how I cope with my reactions is avoidance, tea, or poetry.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 01, 2012, 04:19:12 PM
I tend to get extremely partisan when reading history, taking a side and celebrating their advances and lamenting their defeats.

Really?   :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2012, 01:07:55 AM
*shrug* Islam is Islam.

There are no inferior religions or cultures.

Claude Guéant, French Interior minister, agrees with you :)

Drakken

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 01, 2012, 05:38:15 PM
*shrug* Islam is Islam.

By that quote, France is an inferior culture as it de facto accepts all four of them.  :frog:

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2012, 10:42:00 AM

The people who were bribed by the Russians.

Heck, the IOC is probably one of the most corrupt organizations in the world.

Viking

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 01, 2012, 05:38:15 PM
*shrug* Islam is Islam.

while thanking translate.google.com; I must say I don't agree with him. They don't seem superior, they are superior.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Camerus

I'm embarrassingly easily moved by individual stories, including (or even especially) fiction.  I find historical tales of large-scale suffering more easy to shrug off emotionally, likely due to the paradoxical phenomenon Uncle Joe pointed out.  :gulag:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2012, 02:30:26 AM
while thanking translate.google.com; I must say I don't agree with him. They don't seem superior, they are superior.

Slight rephrasing in that picture. The original text was: "Toutes les civilisations ne se valent pas" i.e all civilizations are not equal (in value/worth).

Original statement:

QuoteContrairement à ce que dit l'idéologie relativiste de gauche, pour nous, toutes les civilisations ne se valent pas. Celles qui défendent l'humanité nous paraissent plus avancées que celles qui la nient. Celles qui défendent la liberté, l'égalité et la fraternité nous paraissent supérieures à celles qui acceptent la tyrannie, la minorité des femmes, la haine sociale ou ethnique."

Translation
"Contrary to the leftwing relativist ideology, for us, not all civilisations are equal. Those who defend humanity seem more advanced to us than those who deny it. Those who defend freedom, equality and brotherhood seem to us superior to those that accept tyranny, subjugation of women and social or ethnic hatred."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 02, 2012, 04:43:56 AM
"Contrary to the leftwing relativist ideology, for us, not all civilisations are equal. Those who defend humanity seem more advanced to us than those who deny it. Those who defend freedom, equality and brotherhood seem to us superior to those that accept tyranny, subjugation of women and social or ethnic hatred."
:frog: :showoff:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point