News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The True American Heros

Started by Siege, May 05, 2009, 11:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

The true american heros are not the guys in the front lines. We do what we have to do, and we believe in what we do. The true heros, are our families back home, our wives and children, that have to go on without us for a year and a half at a time, not knowing if we are dead or alive, not knowing when some fucking officer is going to knock on their doors with the bad news.

As our deployment day nears, as the 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team readies for our next deployment, I salute our true american heros.

Land Of The Free,
Because Of The Brave At Home.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grinning_Colossus

What about the ones who break down and find comfort in another man's arms? Are they still heroes?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Martinus

Siegy, I'm pretty sure your wife prefers to get fucked by some real man (i.e. one that does not shoot blanks) while screaming "Oh Jahweh, oh Jahweh, oh Jahweh" when you are away instead.

citizen k

QuotePublished April 30, 2009
Stryker unit rushing to deploy ahead of schedule
SCOTT FONTAINE;
The News Tribune                             

These roadside bombs weren't much of a surprise.
A convoy of three Strykers from 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division rolled down the muddy roads of a Fort Lewis range Wednesday afternoon. A mock bomb exploded near the second vehicle. Soldiers discovered a copper wire leading to a house at the base of a hill. Gunners in the vehicles fired at the house with Squad Automatic Weapons while a patrol on the ground closed in and eventually stormed the building.
Then they'd regroup, reload their ammunition and repeat the scenario.
It doesn't quite mimic what they'll see in Iraq, where the brigade will deploy this fall, but Wednesday's live-fire training was as real as some of the unit's newest members have seen since joining 4th Brigade.
"We tell the guys, 'Look, it's not always going to be like this in Iraq,'" said Lt. Grant Carriker, a platoon leader with Alpha Battery of 2nd Battalion, 12th Field Artillery Regiment. "Things are going to be faster, more hectic. You'll have to think on the fly. But we're laying the groundwork now."
Carriker and others in the brigade have less time than other units to prepare. The Defense Department announced in March that 4th Brigade will deploy to Iraq this fall, about nine months ahead of schedule.
That means the unit is racing to train new arrivals, some of whom are fresh from basic and infantry training.
The brigade expects to receive about another 600 soldiers, most of whom are new to the Army, before it heads to western Louisiana for its last major training before deployment.
The 4-2 is expected to be one of the final combat brigades sent to Iraq; military trainers will soon replace combat forces under the withdrawal timetable the Obama administration proposed in February.
Going to a war zone early is getting to be a habit for this brigade. On its last deployment to Iraq, which lasted 15 months, its departure from Fort Lewis was moved up a month to April 2007 so it could be part of the surge of U.S. forces into Baghdad.
Carriker said having less preparation time means "some of the sexy stuff gets cut out," like platoon-level exercises with role players acting as insurgents and civilians.
Eight soldiers in Carriker's 2nd Platoon of about 30 people have no combat experience, a number that will almost certainly rise as more soldiers are added.
"It can be a steep learning curve," said Carriker, who lives in Tacoma and is preparing for his second deployment, "and we have to drag them along with us sometime."
Wednesday's live-fire exercises were an opportunity for more seasoned soldiers to work alongside their junior counterparts.
One new arrival, Pvt. Donald Schlund of Nebraska, joined the unit Dec. 8. He said Army life has been a transition on several fronts: joining his unit, switching from artillery to infantry and then training for the Iraq deployment.
"This is the first time some of us have worked with Strykers," said Schlund, 22.
"And I think we're all picking it up pretty well."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on May 05, 2009, 11:26:31 PM
Land Of The Free,

Is that Yiddish?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Yay, I'm a hero! :cool:

(Princesca's cousin was in Iraq).

Seige, I order you to sing that Mariah Carey song 'Hero' (or whatever it's called) to me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Wrong.  The true American heroes are the great leaders of years past.  Men like FDR, Truman, Nixon, Lincoln.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Why must you always crush my dreams?  Truly you are NOT an awesome God.  :mad:

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2009, 06:51:36 AM
Yay, I'm a hero! :cool:

(Princesca's cousin was in Iraq).

Seige, I order you to sing that Mariah Carey song 'Hero' (or whatever it's called) to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl1PRNsQwFs&feature=related

My Uncle went to Afghanistan and Sudan.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2009, 06:58:37 AM
Wrong.  The true American heroes are the great leaders of years past.  Men like FDR, Truman, Nixon, Lincoln.

Lets see if this gives Lettow a heart attack....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2009, 07:01:39 AM
Why must you always crush my dreams?  Truly you are NOT an awesome God.  :mad:
Because your dreams are too small, so that they cannot support the lofty title you would claim.  If you want to be a hero, do something heroic, like overturning modern democracy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2009, 07:18:05 AM
do something heroic, like overturning modern democracy.

:thumbsup: This we can agree on.

syk

Quote from: Siege on May 05, 2009, 11:26:31 PM
The true american heros are not the guys in the front lines. We do what we have to do, and we believe in what we do. The true heros, are our families back home, our wives and children, that have to go on without us for a year and a half at a time, not knowing if we are dead or alive, not knowing when some fucking officer is going to knock on their doors with the bad news.

As our deployment day nears, as the 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team readies for our next deployment, I salute our true american heros.

Land Of The Free,
Heil Heimatfront! Pathos-laden speeches like this always remind me of someone.

Phillip V

Military Families need more attention. The public forgets about their sacrifice, and the element is totally ignored in my ROTC battalion.

I am working on creating a Family Readiness Group website for my Army Reserve unit and have been contributing to the newsletter.