Blind Chinese Dissident Escapes House Arrest, Now Under US Protection!

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2012, 05:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Perhaps, like a Chinese Lettow, he was just "recreationally blind".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2012, 12:55:22 AM
I wonder how much the Chinese would pay for him.

My guess is that Beijing will gladly pay to get rid of him.  History has shown that dissidents can't do much once they are outside China. 

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on April 30, 2012, 04:05:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2012, 12:55:22 AM
I wonder how much the Chinese would pay for him.

My guess is that Beijing will gladly pay to get rid of him.  History has shown that dissidents can't do much once they are outside China.

:yeahright:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Beijing still firmly controls Tibet.  Imagine that trouble that he may have caused if he is in Lhasa. 

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Delivering embarrassing words of "wisdom" to the world isn't doing much.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on April 30, 2012, 04:14:38 PM
When did Tibet get its freedom?

Good point.  He has personally benefited from being outside China, but sadly Tibet is still occupied.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 30, 2012, 04:14:33 PM
Beijing still firmly controls Tibet.  Imagine that trouble that he may have caused if he is in Lhasa. 

Very little judging by the trouble Tibet caused China in 1950.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2012, 04:41:13 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 30, 2012, 04:14:33 PM

Very little judging by the trouble Tibet caused China in 1950.

Afghanistan didn't cause all that much trouble in 2001 either...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 30, 2012, 04:46:40 PM
Afghanistan didn't cause all that much trouble in 2001 either...

Besides playing a huge role in the wrecking of the Soviet Empire?  Humiliating the British?

Worst comparison ever?  Afghanistan was already known as where Empires go to die.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Who said anything about the Soviets or the British?

The terrain in Tibet is even more forbidding than Afghanistan, they could also conduct guerilla operations indefinitely if they were so inclined.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2012, 04:47:46 PM
Besides playing a huge role in the wrecking of the Soviet Empire?  Humiliating the British?

Worst comparison ever?  Afghanistan was already known as where Empires go to die.

This has got to be the lamest analogy ever.  The Soviets were the first, and probably the last, empire to die there.  And that didn't have anything to do with Afghanistan.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!