Would the labour-less utopia be socially desireable?

Started by Martinus, April 25, 2012, 11:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2012, 12:18:44 PM
Yeah a labourless society would greatly favor creative types and that would be the primary path of distinction.

We would all be aristocrats, sometimes brilliant but usually degenerate.

Why were you acidic in that other thread it if ihere you subscribe to Jean-Jacques  :wub:  :P

Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 25, 2012, 02:12:33 PM
Why were you acidic in that other thread it if ihere you subscribe to Jean-Jacques  :wub:  :P

My attitudes do not transfer between threads :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Iormlund on April 25, 2012, 12:40:40 PM
I'm sure we'll cope. There were no factories or offices for most of our existence.

there was, however, work to do. Those stone tools don't make themselves and the beast didn't magically change into steaks and leather clothes either.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lettow77

Yes. Meeting material desires without needing to sully one's hands, and being free to pursue activities purely based on one's inner drive to create, receive recognition, or achieve, is the ideal.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

DGuller

I think sense of purpose is vital for the emotional well-being.  If utopia is anything like the world today, minus the need to work, then I think it would be a problematic arrangement.  Then again, new things could pop up in a society that would give people a sense of purpose that we can't even conceive of today.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 26, 2012, 12:43:17 PM
Yes. Meeting material desires without needing to sully one's hands, and being free to pursue activities purely based on one's inner drive to create, receive recognition, or achieve, is the ideal.

You would think so on the surface, but in reality you would hate it. Particularly men would hate it. It would be suicide city.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2012, 02:21:48 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on April 25, 2012, 02:12:33 PM

My attitudes do not transfer between threads :P
Well played!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grinning_Colossus

People who are internally motivated or bore easily could devote themselves to lives of scholarship, science, or art. The rest could enjoy their utopia.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Iormlund

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 26, 2012, 10:32:44 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on April 25, 2012, 12:40:40 PM
I'm sure we'll cope. There were no factories or offices for most of our existence.

there was, however, work to do. Those stone tools don't make themselves and the beast didn't magically change into steaks and leather clothes either.

Food processing would occupy most of that time. Making tons of tools and clothes doesn't make sense if you are a nomad and haven't yet domesticated beasts to carry your stuff around when you move camp.

Ideologue

I guess I could live with it.  I mean, it's basically what I do now.  My job is pretty laborless.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 26, 2012, 01:45:01 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 26, 2012, 12:43:17 PM

You would think so on the surface, but in reality you would hate it. Particularly men would hate it. It would be suicide city.

Oh yeah.  Days and weeks all mix together.  Your night and day get screwed up since you don't have to be awake for anything.  Next thing you know, ten years have passed by.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

Units of time seem more discrete if you go outside and do something every day.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.