Guardian: Apple would still be highly profitable if production was in U.S.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2012, 06:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on April 26, 2012, 07:43:27 AM
Last spring I got evaluations, one said "PDH was horrible, he is too liberal,"  another said "PDH is horrible, he is too conservative," while a third said "PDH was great, he even swore in classs."

Given that is the range of my foot soldiers, I will pass on revolution.

Maybe if you swore a bit more.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2012, 08:36:37 AM
Quote from: PDH on April 26, 2012, 07:43:27 AM
Last spring I got evaluations, one said "PDH was horrible, he is too liberal,"  another said "PDH is horrible, he is too conservative," while a third said "PDH was great, he even swore in classs."

Given that is the range of my foot soldiers, I will pass on revolution.

Maybe if you swore a bit more.

Now that's a sodding policy I can get behind.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 06:32:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2012, 01:34:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 01:10:48 PM
I'm continually amazed by the strength of the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

Well, I'm happy that I live in a country where we've mastered fire.

All Canadians keep their doors unlocked and none die in fires. :smarty:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 01:10:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 25, 2012, 12:10:08 PMNah, I am not saying I am unwilling to take steps, I am experssing skepticism that the types of solutions generally proposed by government in the form of regulation and legislation are not likely to work. My resistance is purely practical, not ideological.

I do realize this is a bit of a bullshit position. I think there is a problem, but not only do I not have a solution, I am fundamentally skeptical of the very means by which a solution could be crafted even in theory.

I'm continually amazed by the strength of the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating.

Fallacy of generalization, I believe?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2012, 10:47:05 PMI had planned a thread but that darn work stuff keeps interfering.
Short answer is financialization and deflation.  The latter has been influenced by globalization and offshoring but also by the rise of Eurozone and post-Volker hawkish orthodoxy at the Fed.

I'm looking forward to your work slowing down a bit so you can post that thread :)

... because your short answer is intriguing, but I'm pretty sure I don't really understand it  :blush:

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on April 26, 2012, 10:20:11 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 01:10:48 PMI'm continually amazed by the strength of the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating.

If instead I said "I'm amazed at how frequently I hear a proposed solution through government action or policy dismissed not on the grounds of the substance of the solution or principle, but because it's expected that the government will mess it up anyhow through ineptitude or corruption" would that be more acceptable? If I swapped out the "inherently" with "most likely going to be" would that work?

I'm not really sure what you're objecting to, to be honest. Did I just misunderstand what you said?

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on April 26, 2012, 01:48:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 26, 2012, 10:20:11 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 01:10:48 PMI'm continually amazed by the strength of the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating.

If instead I said "I'm amazed at how frequently I hear a proposed solution through government action or policy dismissed not on the grounds of the substance of the solution or principle, but because it's expected that the government will mess it up anyhow through ineptitude or corruption" would that be more acceptable? If I swapped out the "inherently" with "most likely going to be" would that work?

I'm not really sure what you're objecting to, to be honest. Did I just misunderstand what you said?

I said I was skeptical of the ability of government to solve a pretty specific problem - said problem being enormously complex, very susceptible to unintended consequences when governments start meessing around with it, and very poorly understood, especially by those who would be taked with crafting the solution.

To extend that particular positions to "the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating." is just plain ridiculous. And certainly a fallacy.

What is more, it is an argument style that is simply beneath you. Trying to turn "Berkut is skeptical that government regulation and legislation can fix the problem os wealth inequality without doing more harm than good" with "Berkut apparently believes that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating." is rather infantile. I never said anything of the kind. I think there are are incredible number of examples of effective government regulation, and to imply that I am some kind of....what, I don't even know what term would describe this fictional creature who believes something as ridiculous as "government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating." in the general sense. Anarchist?

0 rows returned

citizen k

Quote from: Berkut on April 26, 2012, 02:03:34 PM... I don't even know what term would describe this fictional creature who believes something as ridiculous as "government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating." in the general sense. Anarchist?

That would be the term, or perhaps "anarcho-libertarian".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Turns out I was correct.  I provided counter examples and was ignored.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2012, 03:47:46 PM
That's because you're on so many ignore lists.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2012, 01:38:35 AM
That government can successfully regulate something?  Okay.  Take for example the Cuyahoga River.  It doesn't catch on fire anymore.  This is an improvement.  I doubt there are many people who claim that the Pure Food and Drug act did not improve food quality and the requirement that food and drugs had labels that helped consumers make better choices.

I am talking about the current state of our government right now.  That stuff happened a long time ago.  Heck the Pure Food and Drug act is from the Roosevelt administration...Teddy Roosevelt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2012, 03:47:46 PM

You were on a previous page so I didn't see it.

Berkut

0 rows returned