News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird collaborative fiction site

Started by Razgovory, April 21, 2012, 12:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

http://www.scp-wiki.net/main

This was linked to "Rock paper shotgun".  It seems to be a collaborative effort built around a fictional "Foundation", that keeps track of dangerous and mysterious artifacts.  I've never been into fan fiction (and I suppose this isn't really fan fiction), but some of the stuff is interesting and some genuinely creepy.  They read like executive reports which gives them a sense of verisimilitude (it can also make it difficult to initially understand what they are discussing).  I think what many of the writers fail to realize is that each object should be a story.  Instead they have different area where there are stories about the artifacts (I think.  I haven't looked into that part).

So far this is my favorite one http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-093 It works well because written as a dry report then you go to the "tests" which are short stories that slowly reveal the nature of object and keeps the reader interested.  The final part is the "recovered materials" which has the big reveal at the end.  The story could use some polish, but is pretty good.

Compare it to this: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-173  Which is the highest rated article.  It's just a description of a strange and creepy artifact ( a weird concrete monster).  Perhaps someone has written a story about it, but it's not linked to that page.  I'm not saying the author should reveal everything about it, but it needs a narrative.

Well anyway, that's my two cents.  People who are fans of "weird fiction" like Borges, House of Leaves, or the works of China Melville might like it as would plain old horror fans.  Peruse at your leisure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Huh.  I thought this would get at least one comment.  Maybe from Syt or someone like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I actually had a look. It's an interesting concept. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.