Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 07:59:09 AM
My great grandmother's maiden name: LECRONE. :o

A crone in the family line? Neat.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Cecil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 08, 2009, 01:06:26 PM
I'm curious to what grumbler's geography quizzes entail. In my geography class we had blank maps where we had to label the countries and their capitals and there were a lot of students who couldn't get 80% and maybe 4 or 5 students would get hundreds.

As long as you get the borders it tends to be fairly managable unless you are to pinpoint the exact placement of the cities. Made one of those african online geography tests once without the borders....got a dissapointingly low score.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 08, 2009, 11:07:45 AM
Anybody still talking about Star Trek? I mean I find the intricacies of US grading exciting as all get out, but how about that movie?

Rotten Tomatoes now has it at 96%; 180 positive, and  8 negative.

Their Cream of the Crop has it at 91%; 30 positive, and 3 negative.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 01:24:04 PM

Also, my step-grandmother had the same surname.  She's another one of my grandfather's cousins (though a second cousin this time).  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

QuoteI'm curious to what grumbler's geography quizzes entail. In my geography class we had blank maps where we had to label the countries and their capitals and there were a lot of students who couldn't get 80% and maybe 4 or 5 students would get hundreds.
In university? :blink:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 01:32:27 PM

Also, my step-grandmother had the same surname.  She's another one of my grandfather's cousins (though a second cousin this time).  :Embarrass:

Caliga has acquired the trait: inbred.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

One of my ancestresses was an actual real-live witch ... or at least, was accused of being one.

They allegedly tried to hang her, and failed - she lived.

Mary Webster, aka "Half-Hanged Mary"

http://faculty.uml.edu/bmarshall/Mary%20Webster.htm
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 01:34:23 PMCaliga has acquired the trait: inbred.

My grandather is merely trying to preserve his noble Pennsylvania Dutchman dynasty.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Cecil on May 08, 2009, 01:28:52 PM
As long as you get the borders it tends to be fairly managable unless you are to pinpoint the exact placement of the cities. Made one of those african online geography tests once without the borders....got a dissapointingly low score.

I agree, they're easy tests, but just saying there were a lot of kids in my class that struggled a bit.

@ Jos- 9th grade
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

I'm curious to what grumbler's geography quizzes entail. In my geography class we had blank maps where we had to label the countries and their capitals and there were a lot of students who couldn't get 80% and maybe 4 or 5 students would get hundreds.
Yep.  Maps with the countries numbered.  You have to fill in country names and capitals on a separate sheet which just has the numbers.

Kids spend about two days per continent in class on this (mostly at sheppardsoftware.com) but a few nights on their own.  They tend to get competitive, and even give with learning issues enjoyed playing the computer games and racing each other for the perfect score in the least time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 02:34:36 PM
Yep.  Maps with the countries numbered.  You have to fill in country names and capitals on a separate sheet which just has the numbers.

Kids spend about two days per continent in class on this (mostly at sheppardsoftware.com) but a few nights on their own.  They tend to get competitive, and even give with learning issues enjoyed playing the computer games and racing each other for the perfect score in the least time.

"300 quadlos on the fat Chinese kid with the spectacles."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

....For general Star Trek stuff  :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Started rewatching Deep Space Nine alongside my rewatch of TNG and man, that DS9 intro music is easily one of my favorite of all time. Definitely my favorite Star Trek intro music.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

I watched DS9 for the first time* last year and I had a blast. Possibly my favorite Trek - although I've to find time to rewatch the best seasons/episodes of TNG.

*Only the first season aired originally in Spain

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on May 17, 2022, 03:02:17 AMI watched DS9 for the first time* last year and I had a blast. Possibly my favorite Trek - although I've to find time to rewatch the best seasons/episodes of TNG.

*Only the first season aired originally in Spain
Some of the TNG episodes were better, Voyager's two parters were often excellent, but as a whole, DS9 nailed them all.  It's like what B5 could have been with a budget :P 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.