grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 07, 2009, 06:21:40 PM
Traditional US Grading Tutorial:

A: 93-100
B: 85-92
C: 77-84
D: 69-76
F: 68 and below, some cut off at 69. 
I've never heard of the "Traditional US Grading Tutorial" (nor is it in google) nor have I ever (AFAICR) taken a course below college level that used anything like this scale.

Kinda curious where you got it from.
Modified US Grading Method (percent):

A: 90-100
B: 80-89
C: 70-79
D: 60-69
F: Below 60, some use a wide D to bring F to 50 or below.

Not even close, Sask. :P
This "modified" grading scale (it isn't a grading "method") is called the College Board Grading Scale and is used pretty much uniformly throughout the US.
Some school systems (notably Fairfax County and Montgomery County near me) experimented with an alternate grading scale much like your "traditional" one, but they are switching back as it has become apparent that colleges have ignored the "eliteness" perception the school boards wanted to project by looking so "bad-ass" and simply chose less qualified students from school boards that didn't try to fuck with perceptions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2009, 07:22:27 PM
I've heard a C is considered a bad thing in the US and a C is upper 70s/lower 80s....blimeyl. In the UK a top mark is 70+ and that is very hard to get.
It all depends on what is being tested.  Getting 70% of the questions right on an AP exam, for instance, is very good indeed.  Getting the names of 70% of the countries in Africa right is very bad indeed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

vinraith

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2009, 08:26:46 PMThis "modified" grading scale (it isn't a grading "method") is called the College Board Grading Scale and is used pretty much uniformly throughout the US.
Some school systems (notably Fairfax County and Montgomery County near me) experimented with an alternate grading scale much like your "traditional" one, but they are switching back as it has become apparent that colleges have ignored the "eliteness" perception the school boards wanted to project by looking so "bad-ass" and simply chose less qualified students from school boards that didn't try to fuck with perceptions.

At my high school an A was 95-100, a B was 85-94 etc. The College Board Grading scale is pretty uniform among colleges and universities, I'm not sure how uniform it is among high schools.

jimmy olsen

:o :o :o :o :o

I can't believe what I just saw. When they said they screwed with the timeline they weren't kidding. Still I heartily approve. Five cocksure Captain Kirks out of five.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Tainted™.

All the same, I will probably still be dragged to the movie.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Phillip V

Cardboard characters. Shallow. Cheesy.

Siege

Quote from: Phillip V on May 07, 2009, 09:27:02 PM

My kind of movie.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

I liked the onion's take. Thanks, Seedy.

Of course, the best part was the end on the faux-teaser: And elderly black woman is still following Obama around and shedding a tear everytime he does anything.  :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

All this Star Trek talk is making me want to watch Star Trek IV again.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Korea

I enjoyed it. It was a bit predictable in all the wrong places though. And the Romulans seemed like part dirty mexican/part mobster. I did not care for Captain Nero at all.
I want my mother fucking points!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Phillip V on May 07, 2009, 09:27:02 PM

:thumbsup:

Glad they kept the spirit of the original.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

vinraith

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 02:54:37 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 07, 2009, 01:20:31 PM
Quote from: Cecil on May 07, 2009, 11:25:28 AM
Amazingly this movie is starting to rack up very high scores in the major papers over here.

Rotten Tomatoes has it 94% positive, with 93% of the cream of the crop!
That website is stupid.

Especially with regard to Star Trek, apparently. According to RT's review system, the best Star Trek movie of all time is... wait for it... First Contact.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 12:16:21 AM
Borg queen :wub:

Fag!

Ok, she was hott.

I still fucking hate you.

Or nott.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Delirium

Quote from: vinraith on May 08, 2009, 12:07:19 AM
Especially with regard to Star Trek, apparently. According to RT's review system, the best Star Trek movie of all time is... wait for it... First Contact.

But that is the best Star Trek movie of all t... Oh, wait. Right.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan