And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

A musical?
LOL

You know, after Disovery and Picard, I kind of like what they're doing with this series. Yes, the Lower Decks episode was good fun and the musical may harken back to the days of the Drew Carey show and other non-formulaic shows.

Keeping it light. Love it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I think  it's ok that they have a variety of tones in the show. You have "Lifte Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach" or "Among the Lotus Eaters" which are just classic Trek. You have "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" or the finale of S1, or "All Those Who Wander" (i.e. "the" Hemmer episode :cry: ), which are much more serious. And then you have a LD crossover, or Spock and T'Pring switching bodies, or the crew acting out the plot of a kids' book.

It's kinda how in TNG you could have "Qpid" (the Robin Hood one), followed by "The Drumhead" (a serious one about paranoia, prejudice vs. due process and rule of law), followed by "Half a Life" (Lwaxanna Troi dating David Ogden Steers whose society demands he is killed because of his age). Or in TOS, where you have "Piece of the Action" (the gangster planet), "The Immunity Syndrome" (alien danger of the week), "A Private Little War" (about proxy wars between superpowers and how it affects the concerned "little" powers).

What I like about SNW is that they remain sincere, regardless of whether it's serious or goofy, and that they give everyone in the cast some room to shine - decent job considering they have 8 primary crew members (Pike, Spock, Mbenga, Chapel, Una, La'an, Uhura, Ortegas), and after only 17 episodes it's easy to feel "at home" and very familiar with these characters, something that e.g. Discovery still struggles with.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Discovery just took itself too seriously. Even DS9 which had some pretty deep arcs still took time out for a holosuite baseball tournament or the ferengis attempt a magnificent 7 remake.

*edit* although, for me, a musical might be a bridge too far. But that's because I don't like musicals, not that a musical can't be Trek.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on July 23, 2023, 06:53:40 AMDiscovery just took itself too seriously. Even DS9 which had some pretty deep arcs still took time out for a holosuite baseball tournament or the ferengis attempt a magnificent 7 remake.

True but DS9 had a lot more episodes per season to work with than Discovery. Because of Discovery's storyline there is little room for Robin Hood type episodes. Discovery also never really knew what it wanted to be...switching gears too often, from pre-Enterprise, to meeting the Entrpise in s.2 to zooming way into the future in Season 3. It is the hardest to follow.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: HVC on July 23, 2023, 06:53:40 AMDiscovery just took itself too seriously. Even DS9 which had some pretty deep arcs still took time out for a holosuite baseball tournament or the ferengis attempt a magnificent 7 remake.

*edit* although, for me, a musical might be a bridge too far. But that's because I don't like musicals, not that a musical can't be Trek.

let's just hope everyone can sing well enough to not make it too cringe. Cause that's always the risk with musical episodes (sometimes they work, sometimes they just don't)

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on July 23, 2023, 07:31:05 AM

True but DS9 had a lot more episodes per season to work with than Discovery. Because of Discovery's storyline there is little room for Robin Hood type episodes. Discovery also never really knew what it wanted to be...switching gears too often, from pre-Enterprise, to meeting the Entrpise in s.2 to zooming way into the future in Season 3. It is the hardest to follow.
Stranger New Worlds has a short season too.
Yet they could work a fantasy episode for the doctor's little girl and These Old Scientists episode.

So, about that last one.  Sci-Fi is keeping it on schedule for next Thursday, but releasing the musical right after.  So I found an alternate way to watch it.  The video quality was garbage though.

I really liked that episode.  Boimler and Mariner are their usual self and the Enterprise crew was quite unprepared for what was unleashed upon them :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on July 23, 2023, 08:21:26 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 23, 2023, 07:31:05 AM

Stranger New Worlds has a short season too.
Yet they could work a fantasy episode for the doctor's little girl and These Old Scientists episode.

So, about that last one.  Sci-Fi is keeping it on schedule for next Thursday, but releasing the musical right after.  So I found an alternate way to watch it.  The video quality was garbage though.

I really liked that episode.  Boimler and Mariner are their usual self and the Enterprise crew was quite unprepared for what was unleashed upon them :D

For future reference (say you miss an episode) the sci-fi channel has the episodes online, even this one. Just have to log in with your cable credentials. Also, the pm I sent you a while ago has the show too :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

viper37

Ok, I replied with PM instead of here, but it'll do. :)

Thanks, I did not know about the online sci-fi.

Videotron has cable-on-demand, but not for sci-fi, because it's a Bell channel. :glare:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Slowly catching up. Loved the Memento planet episode - although I feel it had potential to become the show's first classic episode but the writing wasn't quite there. Too much time spent on the Enterprise arc, while planetside was much more compeling. Felt they rushed the ending with the magic metal.

Syt

Well, this was a bit of a mood swing from last episode. :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2023, 11:44:11 AMWell, this was a bit of a mood swing from last episode. :ph34r:

Acting was good, I especially liked Ortegas, but something of the episode was off. Maybe because it came after a great but super light episode.

celedhring

So, after the excellent memento episode I'm treated to one where Spock has to convince her fiancé's conservative mother of his vulcan-ness that seems a straight sitcom plot - except that the laughs are super sparse and it's one hour long. The customer support aliens also felt like something I'd find in Hitchiker's Guide, not Trek.

The show is wildly uneven. I appreciate that it wants to be a lighter show, but I don't feel they have got the balance right just yet, and I find the dramatic episodes to be generally more successful. But there's enough good episodes here and there to keep me onboard.

HVC

You're gonna hate episode 7 then :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2023, 07:46:49 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2023, 11:44:11 AMWell, this was a bit of a mood swing from last episode. :ph34r:

Acting was good, I especially liked Ortegas, but something of the episode was off. Maybe because it came after a great but super light episode.

After some good writing, this one was forced and had some big plot holes.

Syt

Well, this was ... all right. But I'm not big on musicals. :D

I respect the team for looking at high concept episodes like this and giving it a shot instead of playing it safe with the tried and true.

For SNW, especially, I'm mostly looking at it from the angle if an episode would stand out too much from what TOS did. And considering we had the Squire of Gothos, Specter of the Gun, Piece of the Action, Bread and Circuses and what not, I'd say it's not too out there by that standard. :P

The episode did wrap up a few arcs from this season, though. And the Klingons had me actually laughing out loud at the end. -_-
—Stephen Jay Gould