Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 12:17:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2012, 09:11:22 AM
Al Jazeera? :yeahright:
Brilliant news channel.

For news from the mideast?  Sure.

For news from the US Gulf Coast?  Colour me sceptical.  If this story had any legs it would get picked up by one of the dozens of news outlets on this continent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on April 19, 2012, 12:12:16 PM
It just seems odd to me that a creature with a mutation that severe and apparently harmful could seemingly thrive to that extent. 

Eyes in shrimp are pretty primitive to Begin with. They thrive on numbers and group action. As long as chuck can see the fish and flee charles can follow and be safe  once antenae start going then they're in trouble  At the least the ones we eat. Coral shrimp would be screwed.
See post #3.  :P
how unshelfishly unkosher of you to care about the rest of us lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2012, 12:18:43 PM
For news from the US Gulf Coast?  Colour me sceptical.  If this story had any legs it would get picked up by one of the dozens of news outlets on this continent.
Maybe the story suffered a deformity of its own.  :hmm:

crazy canuck

Did you know the English network has offices has offices in the US and Canada?

Razgovory

Brilliant news channel.

Well Fox News has picked it up.  http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/18/eyeless-shrimp-and-mutant-fish-raise-concerns-over-bp-spill-effects/  I don't know if that helps the credibility of the story or not though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 12:37:33 PM
Well Fox News has picked it up.  http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/18/eyeless-shrimp-and-mutant-fish-raise-concerns-over-bp-spill-effects/  I don't know if that helps the credibility of the story or not though.

Yeah, I had more faith in the story before learning this.

Sheilbh

Regardless of where the news is from, my experience is that al-Jazeera go a bit more in depth.  On their website especially they'll have long articles like that that are more like a newspaper than a TV news outlet.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

These shrimps must be really deformed, if they can sound the alarm and communicate it to the scientists.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 12:37:33 PM
Brilliant news channel.

Meh - Fox News is just repeating what Al Jazeera said (and properly sourcing it).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

They'll probably be able to sell the deformed ones as delicacies, or aphrodesiacs.