News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Corporate Space Mining Megathread!!111

Started by jimmy olsen, April 19, 2012, 12:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 17, 2015, 08:58:33 PM
Well, some people make more money than you and enjoy less expensive hobbies. Once they've got enough money saved for their needs, what would you have them spend their excess cash on?

Why should I worry about that?  All I know is I don't have enough money :weep:

As for your question, the possibilities are endless.  Children.  Save more money in case an earthquake 9.0 hits them.  Develop more hobbies.  Go to more places.  Eat better.  Buy a bigger house.  Buy a second home.  Set up a trust fund for children's children.

Eddie Teach

Having children is in one's self-interest. Giving them a trust fund isn't. (Perhaps the opposite, don't rich people tend to have less kids than poor people?)

As for spending more on travel & food, that costs time and may not be as enjoyable to the individual as the things they were doing before. As for second house, more goods, etc, there is no guarantee that improves their lives either.

Point being, it's possible for somebody to have "enough", even if they're not a whale who could finance an entire game or movie themselves.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 17, 2015, 10:05:30 PM
Having children is in one's self-interest. Giving them a trust fund isn't. (Perhaps the opposite, don't rich people tend to have less kids than poor people?)

As for spending more on travel & food, that costs time and may not be as enjoyable to the individual as the things they were doing before. As for second house, more goods, etc, there is no guarantee that improves their lives either.

Point being, it's possible for somebody to have "enough", even if they're not a whale who could finance an entire game or movie themselves.

What you say may apply to Bill Gates, yes.  But I think it is really difficult for others to have enough.  There are so many risks that one faces.  Natural disasters, major health problems, the risk of losing another bread winner in the household, a regional or global financial crisis, or even living too long.  It is extremely difficult for 99.99% of the population to have enough resources to withstand these. 

Razgovory

I kickstarted a PC game that and got a copy of it for 25 dollars less then it sold for.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2015, 10:35:04 PM
I kickstarted a PC game that and got a copy of it for 25 dollars less then it sold for.

You also bore the risk that it became vapourware.  It turned out ok for you, but not every kickstarter project is a success.

The Brain

I'm not in a position to complain about a schtick being overused, but I might just do it anyway.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2015, 02:05:30 AM
I'm not in a position to complain about a schtick being overused, but I might just do it anyway.

:blurgh:

frunk

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2015, 10:39:20 PM
You also bore the risk that it became vapourware.  It turned out ok for you, but not every kickstarter project is a success.

How is that materially different from saying "I've bought this stock, it might go up or down in value."

Razgovory

There's a much greater chance I'll get the game then Mono becoming wealthy playing the stock market.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: frunk on July 18, 2015, 09:35:14 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2015, 10:39:20 PM

How is that materially different from saying "I've bought this stock, it might go up or down in value."

Because the reason somebody has to go the kickstarter route is because he can't get commercial funding otherwise?  So there is a selection bias that these are inherently more risky. 

Stocks on the other hand are regulated, with auditing and accounting requirements, and there are ways to reduce risk such as diversification. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on July 18, 2015, 11:39:22 AM
There's a much greater chance I'll get the game then Mono becoming wealthy playing the stock market.

I have never claimed that I will become wealthy playing the stock market.  I only claim that there is a good chance that I'll be less poor if I invest in stocks.  I only own some penny stocks afterall.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 18, 2015, 11:39:22 AM

You seriously underestimate the power of compound interest and reinvested dividends.

Eddie Teach

A trip to Thailand is not "reinvestment" though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 18, 2015, 03:48:17 PM

That's right.  I have no one to blame but myself for my financial situation  :ph34r:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 18, 2015, 03:48:17 PM

One might say that vacations/leisure travel are investments human capital.  :sleep: