News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bald eagles make comeback in the Windy City

Started by jimmy olsen, April 17, 2012, 04:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 10:48:54 AM
Apparently the UK's national bird is the Robin :)

Robert Walpole is the UK's national bird eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Scipio on April 17, 2012, 12:24:01 PM
They're carrion eaters, when they can't find fish.  Some bald eagles have drowned rather than surrender a fish they caught back to the wild.

Because they are an apex predator, with no natural predators, they get into territorial battles with Golden Eagles, and will raid other birds of prey's nests.

Come to think of it, Neil may be right.
The only thing there that sounds stupid is the drowning thing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I think the turkey vulture should have been our national symbol.

Eater of roadkill, I SALUTE THEE.

Seriously... those niggas take care of deer strikes around here in like a few days. :)  Last weeked I was working in the yard and one flew like ten feet over my head.  It was so badass. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Yeah, those rat bastards are humongous;  a wingspan like a B-52.
Not so prevalent on this side of the Bay, we've got plenty of the other vultures, but turkey vultures are all over the place on the Eastern Shore.  Must be the poultry industry.

Ed Anger

I almost pulverized one of those fuckers with my jeep.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

We have both turkey vultures and black vultures here.  The black vultures form much larger flocks and I don't think I've ever seen a solitary one, whereas I see solitary turkey vultures all the time (like last weekend).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 17, 2012, 10:01:23 AM
I saw a movie with that line in the past week or two. Can't remember which one though.  :hmm:

It's originally a Billy Crystal line from SNL.

Ed Anger

It was a black one I almost hit then. Fucker had a gang with him.

CountDeMoney

We've got a photo somewhere with a flock of black vultures on some trees in the background, just eyeballing our old dog, Stanley, wondering if he were still alive or not.  Poor Stanley was cowering in his little dirt hole, afraid to look up.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2012, 07:22:45 PM
It was a black one I almost hit then. Fucker had a gang with him.
Black vultures are smaller and basically totally black.  Turkey vultures are larger, more brownish in color, and have that bright red face.

Ed Anger

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on April 17, 2012, 07:12:57 PM
I think the turkey vulture should have been our national symbol.

Eater of roadkill, I SALUTE THEE.

Seriously... those niggas take care of deer strikes around here in like a few days. :)  Last weeked I was working in the yard and one flew like ten feet over my head.  It was so badass. :cool:
I saw a dead one on the side of the road yesterday.
PDH!

Caliga

Whenever I see a bunch of vultures sitting around (they like to perch on horse fences here) I think of those bad guys from The Dark Crystal. :cool: