1% of tax to churches and political parties

Started by Martinus, April 14, 2012, 04:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Right now in Poland churches and political parties receive subsidies from the government based on various factors that are not fully transparent.

It is proposed that the system is scrapped and instead every tax payer could declare 1% of his or her tax to be devoted to a specific church (or none at all) and another 1% to a specific party (or none at all). If the money is not devoted to any church or party it goes to the state treasury.

What would you think of this idea? I find it sensible on its face value but also quite subversive - since it gives the rich greater power that is not wholly democratic.

Sheilbh

I generally don't support state funding for political parties or Churches.  I'd possibly make an exception for Churches with listed buildings.

That system sounds better though as it's at least transparent.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2012, 04:44:26 PM
I generally don't support state funding for political parties or Churches.  I'd possibly make an exception for Churches with listed buildings.

That system sounds better though as it's at least transparent.

I support it for the churches, but I am not sure about the political parties. Right now political parties are funded based on the election result they get (which is not ideal, since it penalizes parties that are new etc.) However, under this 1% proposal, this makes a party's funding dependent on the wealth of its supporters - I mean, don't get me wrong, I like anything that gives the wealthy (i.e. me) the greater influence on this silly country, but I don't think it is very democratic.

We already can donate 1% of tax to a social cause in Poland. These would be further 2%.

Once we reach 100% (yeah I know, a slippery slope, but we are getting there) we will have no state with redistribution powers whatsoever - just people individually donating their own money. :P

MadImmortalMan

I see no reason the state should be passing the offering plate. No on both counts. Any charity that's worth having around can manage some fundraising without resorting to this stuff.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2012, 06:30:52 PM
I see no reason the state should be passing the offering plate. No on both counts. Any charity that's worth having around can manage some fundraising without resorting to this stuff.

I won't even check off the "Give $1 to blah blah box" on any form.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

How do we know it's happening?  If it's not very transparent, how would know it's going on?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Neil

I would understand how politicians would be in favour of this.  It'd be difficult to oversee, and so would create enormous opportunities for the sort of graft that Eastern Europeans love so much.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.