News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

8.9 quake off Aceh province.

Started by katmai, April 11, 2012, 04:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

QuoteJAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — Indonesia issued a tsunami warning Wednesday after an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 8.9 hit waters off westernmost Aceh province.

People on Twitter said tremors were felt in Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and India. High-rise apartments and offices on Malaysia's west coast shook for at least a minute.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the powerful quake was centered 20 miles (33 kilometers) beneath the ocean floor around 308 miles (495 kilometers) from Aceh's provincial capital.

Said, an official at Indonesia's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency who goes by only one name, said a tsunami warning has been issued.

Indonesia straddles a series of fault lines that makes the vast island nation prone to volcanic and seismic activity.

A giant 9.1-magnitude quake off the country on Dec. 26, 2004, triggered a tsunami in the Indian Ocean that killed 230,000 people, nearly three quarter of them in Aceh.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

At least they have a tsunami warning system this time round.

I'm still freaked out by the prospect of a tsunami hitting bangladesh, the coutry would disappear for a while.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

At only 20 miles offshore, leaves very little time though i'm afraid.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Yeah, surely it should have hit shore long since by now? That story appeared a fair while ago. No word yet though on anything.

The Pacific is super active lately....worrying.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: katmai on April 11, 2012, 04:25:10 AM
At only 20 miles offshore, leaves very little time though i'm afraid.

the article says 20 miles down, not 20 miles from the coast. Location wise, Banda Acheh is a port city and the epicenter was 308 miles away from it.

Though 20 miles down is really really deep.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

There's been an 8.2 aftershock! :(

QuoteA strong 8.2 magnitude aftershock hit at 6:43 a.m. ET, the USGS said; The USGS and Indonesia issued fresh tsunami alerts as a result.

Indonesia's Geophysics Agency said it had detected a rise in sea level of up to 2 feet 7 inches, Reuters reported. A witness on Simeulue Island, near the epicenter of the quake, said the sea had receded by about 10 yards; water receding is a sign that a tsunami wave is about to arrive.
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/11/11136024-tsunami-alerts-after-powerful-quakes-hit-off-indonesia?lite
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

experts are saying that this was a horizontal move of tectonic plates so it shouldn't produce a big tsunami.

Liep

It's nice to see that the newspapers were ready for this tsunami warning, we can rest assured that we'll get all the photos of death and destruction if one actually hits.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Also, it seems there's a race going on to see who can call up the most celebrities vacationing in Thailand, everybody is losing though. :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Liep on April 11, 2012, 07:07:54 AM
Also, it seems there's a race going on to see who can call up the most celebrities vacationing in Thailand, everybody is losing though. :weep:

Especially the celebs who it has now been revealed about that they holiday in Thailand.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on April 11, 2012, 12:16:12 PM
Especially the celebs who it has now been revealed about that they holiday in Thailand.

Not *all* Thai hookers are men.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 11, 2012, 06:38:42 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 11, 2012, 12:16:12 PM

Not *all* Thai men are hookers.

fyp